Buying a used stereo - Private sale, what do i need to look out for?

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

I'm currently looking for a single din car stereo to purchase that has USB connectivty. One has come up on the gumtree site and is in the same city as me.

Its a Kenwood stereo that comes with USB connectivity, it comes with the wires, cage and still has the box. The buyer has decided to sell as her new car has a built in stereo so she has taken this out of her old car before selling it. She wants £45 for it

Is there anything i need to look out for when buying this stereo, need to know it works (which the seller states it does) but i can't check as the existing stereo is stilll wired in into my car. Is the £45 price tag ok as i've checked online and it sells around around £120.

Many thanks

ep91_bham

Fresh Recruit
smell it from the back , i know it sounds silly but if it smells of burning then i would not buy its also best to take the stereo out and put this one in before buying as you never really know with electrical goods best to buy brand new tbh

lingl9z

Member +
I'd say whack your stereo out and ask if you got there would you be able to fit it to ensure it works before parting with cash - if the stereo's good I'm sure where won't be a problem.

ady_glanza

Member +
smell it from the back , i know it sounds silly but if it smells of burning then i would not buy its also best to take the stereo out and put this one in before buying as you never really know with electrical goods best to buy brand new tbh

The existing stereo is a double din and its quite solidly bolted in, i would have to take it to someone to get it out.

ady_glanza

Member +
personally, i just wouldnt buy a second hand stereo.

What stereo is it exactly?
find out its content from new and make sure you get them all

make sure you get this http://www.m-99.co.uk/kenwood_iso.jpg with it

and one of these http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31U5uG2i3xL._SL160_AA160_.jpg, although you wont need if for the starlet, get it anyway

and obviously test all its functions before buying.

the link to the stereo is as follows:-

http://leeds.gumtree.com/leeds/75/62731475.html

Thanks

steo800

Member +
dont think you got anything extra with that stereo.

just make sure you get the lead i posted above.

there might have been a plastic case for the detachable face.

what car do you drive?

im assuming its a starlet, should be handy enough to remove the old stero with a philips head

durmz

Member +
agree with steo, u can get decent head units for peanuts, a second hand one could be on its way out without anyone knowing

ady_glanza

Member +
dont think you got anything extra with that stereo.

just make sure you get the lead i posted above.

there might have been a plastic case for the detachable face.

what car do you drive?

im assuming its a starlet, should be handy enough to remove the old stero with a philips head

hi mate
It's an Integra Type R DC2 (Import)
I used to have a Glanza
Thanks

rb69

Member +
To be honest I don't think its worth buying a second hand unit, as said it could be on its way out and no one would know. You can get brand new ones that are more than capable of doing a decent job for peanuts these days. If you are still thinking of buying the second hand one make sure it has the release keys for the cage as well.

addz

Member +
Just make sure you get all the fitting bits and bobs with it.

I have always purchased second hand stereos, that's because I've always gone for alpine - so it's wiser to purchase second hand.

If the seller allows you to test it, then that is superb. If the seller doesn't then it's a gamble, only one you are willing to take. I think most stereos have a distinct smell at the back so knowing what to smell for can be quite tough as the operate at some heat.

Also try to find out what speakers she has used the stereo with, many people wire heavy speakers to their stereo which means it must work harder. This isn't good for the internal amplifier.

steo800

Member +
dont think ive changed a radio in a dc2, but im sure its the same as the ek

you'll need to access behind the radio, there will be two small 8mm bolts holding in the radio bracket/panel

access them from the passenger and/or drivers footwell, not the easiest position to get into. you may have to remove some plastic paneling aswell, like glove box, and bit that runs from one footwell to the other.

once the 2 bolts are gone, the radio and plastic surroound should pull out, but double check thie process on a dc2 forum

that radio is a 2009 model, so its only gonna be about a year old, but as durms said, a good radio can be gotten cheap.

i dont bother with usb, but thats my preference. You have limited control most of the time, and unless its a highend radio with some sort of lcd screen, scrolling for particular songs/albums/playlists can take time, which is a pain when trying to concentrate on that little thing called driving