C52 V C56 box

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Which box is better for the strip, the Glanza box has a shorter 3rd and 4th I think, so would it make the better box?

Are they both the same in strength or will the Glanza one strip the teeth at a lower torque level than the GT one?

1bar

Member +
It will help if you let us know what you primarily going to use the box for? Track racing,drag racing or everyday driving?

dac69er

Super Moderator
dont think anyone has ever stripped the teeth on a starlet gearbox, even the mega power ones.

only real weak point is the synchros.

i think the difference in the ratios will be so minimal that it wont make much difference. the glanza box would be the best bet for what you want if it has shorter 3rd and 4th gear ratios

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I'm aware of some very small damage to a tooth in 4th gear, so just planning ahead, incase I lose 4th gear on a run.

Johnny_C

Lifer
Hmm, interesting.

Are they all literally direct bolt on gearboxes, with no modifying needed?
i had one fitted before for a few months,no problems,bolt straight on.there always the option of the g6 6 speed box,ratios will be short in that.

azerty

Supermoderator
I've heard quite few 3rd gear poping...

the glanza box will be your better option. I would go for even shorter ratio if I could, but I'm in slalom/gymkhanas...

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I've heard quite few 3rd gear poping...

the glanza box will be your better option. I would go for even shorter ratio if I could, but I'm in slalom/gymkhanas...

I've been considering changing the final drive for a while now, only reaching about 6000rpm in 4th on the 1/4mile.

Of course the other option is leave the box alone and up the power instead :p

Ted

Member +
I've been considering changing the final drive for a while now, only reaching about 6000rpm in 4th on the 1/4mile.

Of course the other option is leave the box alone and up the power instead :p

fuck sake, i just threw an na gearbox in the skip yesterday!

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
na gearbox, for some strange reason ..holds on for longer. many of us here on the strip have stripped many 3rd gears from C56/C52 boxes, plenty!! The na ones hold better.

The best option though, if car is only used for strip is to fit a straight cut with sequential shifter and it will solve the problem once and for all..even if at a price

Ted

Member +
na gearbox, for some strange reason ..holds on for longer. many of us here on the strip have stripped many 3rd gears from C56/C52 boxes, plenty!! The na ones hold better.

The best option though, if car is only used for strip is to fit a straight cut with sequential shifter and it will solve the problem once and for all..even if at a price

worth noting that an aftermarket diff wont fit in an na box. isnt that right?

dac69er

Super Moderator
are the 3rd gears being stripped because the synchro goes 1st on that gear so on gearchanges the gears are just grinding in????

Killamats

worth noting that an aftermarket diff wont fit in an na box. isnt that right?

exactly, it doesnt fit. what we do is weld the na diff so it becomes solid. its not good to drive on roads in these conditions..tyres last very little lol and handles awful. but for drag its absolutely fine

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Does the Quiafe not fit the NA box? If I strip it I'll consider a dog box, want the MR2 racing for the start of 2010s season, so will be forging it for Christmas and then need a Clutch/dif and box rebuild, so moneys going to be tied up for a few months.

Killamats

are the 3rd gears being stripped because the synchro goes 1st on that gear so on gearchanges the gears are just grinding in????

the gear actually goes in, no problems with synchros, but when the car is loaded on full boost with slicks and grip juice you hear a 'boom' and in a few secs the car is idling 'free'. 3rd gear gone. change gearbox.