Cam belt just snapped :(

will_maddox

Member +
I knew here was something rubbing on the belt and it was booked in to get a new one on. but anyways, i went to starting it this morning and as it started to crank i heard a ping then it just wouldnt start.
Would this have knocked it out of time trying to start it?

mech5107

Fresh Recruit
Is the engine cranking? Try removing the timming belt cover and see if it's snapped. Don't try to start it, there is danger that the valve will hit the pistons.

Sparky

Member +
Arent these non interference heads?

Shouldnt of done any damage mate but thats unlucky

Will defintley need to be timed again, but if its booked in somewhere they will be able to sort it

GTnomez

Member +
^ WHat he said.

If you werent driving at 70mph when the snap happened then it will be fine.

I dropped a washer down the timing side of my engine and i stupidly kept trying to start the car in hopes the washer falls out (WTF? that doesnt even make sense!!!) when i finally started it, it sound rough as fcuk and died.

I stripped everything off on the timing side including crank pulley and reset the time, the cam pulley was out by 5 teeth and once reset it ran sweet as a nut B)

Just change the cambelt and time the engine and all should be sweet B)

H_D

Member +
^ done a replacement cam belt on a gt last year due to a snapped belt no damage was caused to the valves or the head. At the time we did not know its a non interfearing setup so we took the whole head off and ended up having to change the head gasket aswell.

If only all cars had the same setup it would make my job alot easier in some aspects.

Texx

Super Moderator
If the head and/or block hasn't been refaced previously and the engine is fitted with a stock or thicker headgasket, then I wouldn't be too concerned. The first thing to do whenever a timing belt beaks is to time the engine up and install a new belt, pull the spark plugs out and drop a small amount of engine oil into each cylinder and then carry out a cold compression test. If the results appear to be OK then start the engine and road test the car.

For peace of mind a second compression test can be carried out once the engine has warmed up to temperature.