Cam belt timing...

Nippon

Member +
Hey Guys

Car is in having the timing belt replaced at the moment.

The garage has phoned me and said that the timing is very slightly out by like one tooth.
They have asked if I have had cylinder head modifyed in anyway or the timing advanced.

Now as far I know I hadn't, and the last people to do anything with the head were TMD like 2 years ago when the fitted exhaust, welded 4th exhaust port, changed head gasket and did some fueling mods.

The garage is asking if I want the timing left as it is or put back to the standard timing marks.

Thing is... Ive had a Dastek Unichip ECU fitted and mapped earlier this year. So this would have been done with the timing being as it is (out by one tooth) If they put the timing back to the standard 4E marks will it be detrimental to the way the car runs?

MD

Nippon

Member +
Do you think that Dave or Darren would have advanced the timing in that way when they did some work on it?
Would there be any advantage in doing that?

AdamB

Member +
It was probably set in accordance with the unichip using a timing light mate. I would leave it as is.

Nippon

Member +
It was probably set in accordance with the unichip using a timing light mate. I would leave it as is.

Na I spoke to the tuner who fitted and mapped the unichip. They didnt touch the cams or timing belt.

I have asked the garage to leave the timing as it was when it went in this morning. Car was running fine and made 232.6bhp on the dyno so I'm happy with that.
Would cost more time and money to have the timing set to the normal 4E marks and then go back to mappers to have ECU checked and adjusted.

mork

Member +
If the cams have been out at anytime a bolt put in the service hole to stop the sprocket rotating?

weeJohn

Lifer
Na I spoke to the tuner who fitted and mapped the unichip. They didnt touch the cams or timing belt.

I have asked the garage to leave the timing as it was when it went in this morning. Car was running fine and made 232.6bhp on the dyno so I'm happy with that.
Would cost more time and money to have the timing set to the normal 4E marks and then go back to mappers to have ECU checked and adjusted.

Its really only been the intake cam timing that has been affected, its either opening earlier or later than it should.

If it was tmd doing this from what i heard dave knew his stuff and i dont think he would have misse somethin as simple as that mate it could be down to manythings if the timeing was advanced or changed in anyway if it was running fine before i would leave it and if you plan on changing it have you tuner do it so he can map it straight away

Let us know !