Cam Question

Iceman

Member +
Quick question. I was told that the cams from the 4EFE or N/A starlet works fine on the 4EFTE and it give you more pull right through the rev range. Has anyone tried this before and what was the results cause a friends offering me a set at a reasonable price and wanted to know if it was worth it? Will greatly appreciate you guyz input.

Spoonz

Member +
im not to sure on this but i would think if that was true a lot of pl would have dont it to be honest im sure someone will know but i think it wont give u no more power

(waits to be stood corrected)

Toplap

Lifer
I heard the 5efhe and 4efte cams were the ones to go for, but still interested to know what works best as i've never tried it myself

Adam_Glanza

Member +
5efhe is an improvement, i seriously CANT amagine that 4efe cams will be better than the 4efte cams? surely not? i dont no for sure but that sounds like aloud of crap mate

monka

Member +
i'd have thought if they would be better, toyota would have put them in themselves, rather than spending a shit load of money developing different ones for it

monka

Member +
i'd have thought if they would be better, toyota would have put them in themselves, rather than spending a shit load of money developing different ones for it

Toplap

Lifer

Not always, The 4efte may be a turbo engine, but it was designed with economy in mind...not utter performance. If its anything like a few other Automotive companies like mazda the N/A cams in the Turbo engine actually offer a benefit. The BP-T from the 323 gtx/gtr makes quite a decent gain from N/A cams.

starlet666

Member +
alot of cars that were raced in the production series used this method cause they had to be "stock" so na cams were the go there but as for the starlets the cams are the same through the entire range except for the 5efhe which has the same duration just a little more lift...hardly worth the effort though imo just go get some grinds and shims or lash out and get real billet cams

Toplap

Lifer
alot of cars that were raced in the production series used this method cause they had to be "stock" so na cams were the go there but as for the starlets the cams are the same through the entire range except for the 5efhe which has the same duration just a little more lift...hardly worth the effort though imo just go get some grinds and shims or lash out and get real billet cams

So stock 5efe cams are fine to use in a 4e (or the same cams really)? i have a spare 5e head and i'd love to have it rebuilt/resealed to just throw onto the 4e as a weekend job

p2d

Member +
The 5e and 4e heads and everything inside are exactly the same thing. they're both universal.

starlet666

Member +
5efe cams are identical 2 a 4efte and 4efe mate total waste of time... if u want any kind of difference u have to find 5efhe cams they have slightly more lift in them so u can stuff a little more air in2 the cylinders

but the turbo doesnt fit on isnt that right?

otherwise people with a 5e swap would use the head also?

this is incorrect...the heads of the 5e and 4e are generally the same....HOWEVER, there is one generation 5e that is different

and the 5e heads are used in 5efte swaps:rockon:....the reason some people use the 4efte head is either because they 1) have a port/polish head with maybe cams they wish to use back and just plain old dont want to mess with the set up..2) maybe thier 4efte head has been refurbished recently....or 3) they are miss informed that the 5e head will not work....4) they were "unlukcy" and got the wonr generation 5e head (i think from the DIS)

Last edited:

E10-2001-CT9

Member +
4efe cams arent better...they are the worsed cams. i know tghe following(exact i dont know,because got this in garage):

4efe cams have little lift
4efte same lift like 5efe
and 5efhe got most lift, so this should be best.

but i have no chance to find out the overlaping from the different cams...

now i drive 4efe cams, an i know, at higher rpm engine is very slow, cant get anough air into, i think....at lees rpm it works good. I will install next time teh fte cams. will see what changes

h2onabe

Fresh Recruit
this is incorrect...the heads of the 5e and 4e are generally the same....HOWEVER, there is one generation 5e that is different

and the 5e heads are used in 5efte swaps:rockon:....the reason some people use the 4efte head is either because they 1) have a port/polish head with maybe cams they wish to use back and just plain old dont want to mess with the set up..2) maybe thier 4efte head has been refurbished recently....or 3) they are miss informed that the 5e head will not work....4) they were "unlukcy" and got the wonr generation 5e head (i think from the DIS)

yup, i know for fact that the DIS head does not have a distributor and as such, would be quite a bit more work to make work. i think if you knew what you were doing, you probably could MAKE it work. it's just wouldn't be a direct swap over like the distributored 5efe head would be. the DIS would be Distributorless-Ignition-System.

my old motor was a DIS motor (i have a 1995 tercel). so for the USA it's the second generation paseo and '95+ tercels that the head is the DIS head. first gen paseo's would work, they've got distributors but no external coil so you'd need your 4e distributor to keep your external coil. (i'm assuming that because when i ordered a set of sparkplug wires from a paseo, i got 4 wires instead of 5 and the coilwire was the one missing). i'm not to sure which motors have which heads overseas though :(, sorry.