Camera/Filters Advice..

Guys,

Got a few filters for my camera, UV and Graduated ND filter.

Im thinking that the UV Filter should always be at the end of the lens, but am I correct?

Should I always keep the UV at the end? and do I even need to use it if it have the ND Filter on there?

Any help or advice is mucho apprectiated!!

Ollie

milloman

Member +
Ello mate :)

I have a UV on mine all the time without fail... the glass is SO thin on it that it's a kick ass protector for your top-dolla lens! If you scratch it or drop it, the £20 UV filter will take the hit instead of ur £100+ lens! So yes, keep it on mate, you will not notice a difference with your shots unless you go up high into the mountains where the UV levels are much higher... even then it has a positive effect on ur shots not a negative one! :)

As for the Graduated ND filter, that kind of splits your photo in 2, you should be able to spin the filter round once it's been fitted, and what it does is one half of the photo will receive less exposure than the other half. Why would u wanna use one? Simple, if you're shooting where the top half (i.e. bright sky!) is much brighter than the focal point on the bottom half (i.e. your sick ride!) then it'd be good to use an GND filter because it'll hopefully even out the exposure and you may even capture some sick ass cloud formations in the bright sky whilst keeping your car (or whatever the focal point is) in exposure too.

Hope that's helped dude :) Others correct me if i'm wrong or missed anythin out! :)

milloman

Member +
Oh and to answer the second Q... i'd never have more than 2 lens filters on at once, if u start piling them up, a) there's more glass between lens and source so therefore pic quality can only be reduced! and b) on wider angle photos you may start to notice wats called 'vignetting' which is where the edges of ur photos begin to appear darker because the lens filters are blockin light getting in.

As i say tho i use my UV + one other filter all day long with no probs :) havin the UV on when using the ND shouldn't make any noticeable difference :)