Camera's ??

PelvisGt

Member +
Basically I need some information on Digital SLR's.
I'm after a good camera but nothing crazy, I've seen a few members on here that use DSLR's and just want to know some info on them :)

Where is a good place to buy one from?

Which make and model camera would you recommend?

If you could upload a picture and what camera you used that would be amazing !

Im aiming around the 300-400 budget (i know thats asking alot lol)

Thanks for any info :)

alan_d

Lifer
without sounding blase about it, buy a few of the magazines at the minute lol!
theyre very good and often show guides on doing things with a certain model.

Ive got a nikon D1 at the moment, with a 55mm and 70-300mm lens, but if love more lol!

I like www.dpreview.com for their honesty and simply awesome sample library, giving you an idea of what you can expect from the camera.

I picked up my D1x for £185 on ebay, used, and a bit of a gamble, but after sorting a few wee niggles (new battery, cables etc) I have what was originally a $6000 body for £185 - but its a REAL 5.4mp and not interpolated or anything, and the depth of field smokes my 8mp fuji bridge slr.

It was thoroughly daunting even coming from the bridge slr, but my game plan is learn how to work it to the max before buying a used D3 in a year or two maybe!

plus I dont care hangin it out the window of a moving car or leaving it lying in the garage/boot of the car!

heres a library shot from a d1 - if you click into it and zoom the image to full res youll see what its like

010621-1331-41.jpg

Last edited:

PelvisGt

Member +
Cheers guys !!

Some really good shots there :)

I was thinking about getting a second hand one but was worried about it having hidden problems or dead cell's.

I've seen a mag in WHSmith about just SLR's ill pick it up tomarrow and have a read !

Thanks again

alan_d

Lifer
Just to ask, what do you intend to use as you as your subject matter? Just for your lens choice?
Motorsport? Static shots of cars? Close subject matter? As lenses arnt the sort of thing you want to buy willynilly lol!

Also, imho avoid the nikon 'thousand' series, as theyre too consumerised in my opinion- theyre laiden down with video recording and 'hd' facilities. If you want stills stick to a thoroughbred stills cam.

Dont be afraid of buying used from the likes of Calumet or distinguished photography dealers as they will more than likely have clean ccds etc

My bro has a d90 and is thoroughly pleased with it, and manages to take good stills with only point and shoot experience.
Ive a friend with an alpha series sony, and he constantly struggles with it coming from a canon eos 500. Thats why its good to get hands on with them, as youll fall into the camp of liking one brands nuances over another, kinda like some people prefering nokia over other phones!
Its worth payin more and getting the right advice from a local dealer or try friends ones and found your own preferances!
I bought a d1x having seen the photographer who did my mag feature using one lol

Gord R

Member +
My brother got himself a D40x for Xmas, with a couple of lenses. Seems like a handy bit of kit for a beginner and good value.

azerty

Supermoderator
some good advice from Alan.
Go for a Canon or Nikon and you won't regret your move.
bare in mine lens is what does the pic, so focus your choice with this in mind.
cheers

weakboy2

Member +
My g/f elaine has a nikon d60 with original and sports lens, seems like a really good bit of kit, quite dear tho lol, sports lens was about 400 odd i think :(

PelvisGt

Member +
It will be for still use and I will not need any video features. I would just want really clear and good looking pictures.

Is the Dx1 a digital SLR? it looks pretty retro but the results look really good !

This is really useful :)

alan_d

Lifer
The D1x is a 'professional' dslr rather than the consumer 'ten' series like d40 d60 d90 etc, its designed for journalism/working photographer work, rather than being compact and stylish like a d40/d60/d90.

The reason I opted for it is that its been a benchmark for years, and as hacks/journo's use/used them there are insane amounts of accessories/spares for them! The biggest reason is that id loose a testicle for a D3!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD3/

id even settle for a d2x if I could justify it, but for now, given that I view most images on a 1920res screen, im happy enough!

Just promise me you wont fall into the trap of buying a camera for the looks of the body - its the RAW it lays down on card that counts!