Can anyone in Cambridge help me out

jezza

Lifer
My sister just phoned me to tell me her Fiat Punto failed MOT on the following

-Front passanger seat insecure
-Headlamp aim too high on both sides
-Windscreen wipers dont clear the windscreen
-Front tires need replacing (one low tread and the other bulge)
-Front brake discs excessively scored
-Centre exhaust has part of tge system excessively deteriorated
-Front exhaust has a major leak of exhaist gases
-Rear exhaust has a mounting that does not fully support the exhaust system

Quick fit carried out the test and have quoted a mighty £478 :mad:to fix everything but the seat.

The quote reads: -
Punto 1.2 9900 STP £92.10
Eco Exhaust disposal £1.50
Punto 1.2 00 SCP £96.60
Brake discs x 2 £126.80 (shocker)
Brake consumables £4.95 (dont know what this is)
Brake pad set £62.30 (more of a shocker)
Headlamp adjustment £11.95
Tires £30.00
Wheel balance x2 £11.50
Eco tire disposal £3.00
Valve x2 £7.50

Would anyone in Cambridge area be able to help out by changing front discs and pads, wiper blades and exhaust (once I figure out which sections need replaced). Might need your assistance to fix/replace the passenger seat. I'll have the parts organised and you would be paid of course.

I would do it myself if I wasn't so far away!

PM me if you can help out.

J25GTi

Lifer
Is it on steel wheels or alloys? Can pick up steels from the local newpaper for way cheap... (or use the alloys off your starlet for the MOT and take it somewhere else to get the tyres done cheap)

Windscreen wipers is a two second job, just go to halfrauds for those.

Brake discs and pads, get yourself on ebay to get them,

Seats shouldnt be too hard to fix

The exhaust it is worth getting someone to do, kwikfit only charged me a tenner to change one over, if you catch them at a quiet time and talk to one of the fitters they usualy do it for cash in hadn type of thing...

Find a scrap yard to search for an exhaust would be the best bet, just put breakers yards in in google and you can type in what you want on one of the websites and loads of breakers email you with prices.

Last edited:

jezza

Lifer
I'd have it sorted myself if I was nearby. My sister doesn't have a clue about cars but I'm pleading with her not to let kwik fit rob her completely.

J25GTi

Lifer
I'd have it sorted myself if I was nearby. My sister doesn't have a clue about cars but I'm pleading with her not to let kwik fit rob her completely.

Too true, they are bastards, and been a girl they probably rubbed their hands together when she came in... I wont ever let kwikfit near my car for precisely this reason...

jezza

Lifer
Exactly. You can get the discs and pads from euro car parts for about £30 all in. For the money they were wanting I'd expect drilled and grooved discs and top of the range pads.