can I car be parked up on the road side outside my house without insurance?

dan

Member +
Basically the car is tax and mot'd but im picking up a new car later today. I need to transfer my policy over from my old one (the one parked up) and the new one while its up for sale.

Can this be done or will i have some run'ins with the police?

cheers

Dan.

GTti

Member +
Illegal.

Has to be on private property or driveway etc.

If you can put it at least on the grass totally off the road then it may prevent police getting in the way.

Last edited:

MarckGlanza

Member +
ive done it before and as long as the cars taxed and motd its fine just as long as your not driving it without the insurance

Jaf_ep91

Member +
insurance

its perfectly fine mate, my winter car sits at the side of the road all summer i just keep it taxed so there's no problems even mot doesn't matter because your not allowed to drive a car without mot, so if your not driving it you'll be fine

Darius

Lifer
its perfectly fine mate, my winter car sits at the side of the road all summer i just keep it taxed so there's no problems even mot doesn't matter because your not allowed to drive a car without mot, so if your not driving it you'll be fine

you have to have insurance to get tax though mate

Jaf_ep91

Member +
traders

not if your on a traders policy mate, which i am so aslong as the cars in my name i can tax it ok.

toymotaadam

Member +
if got tax and mot it will be fine ,it road worthy and tax paid for being on the road if anything happens to it ur not insured.any1 fully comp or traders licence can drive it insured with your permission

andy.i

Member +
i did mine for like a month, but then again i live in a quite area, should be ok for a few hours but it is illegal......

nutta

Member +
if someone runs into your car on the road, ur fucked coz u got no insurance, n whoever runs into it can press charges against you because they will have to have there insurance pay for it

lingl9z

Member +
What i was told is that you need Mot + Tax for the car to be on the road but to even move it and inch you need insurance - i asked in the cop shop when i was there, dunno if laws have changed or they where wrong so don't quote me on that.

Come to think of it - thats down my lil cul-de-sac in an area thats kind of like a car park.

stew

Member +
if someone runs into your car on the road, ur fucked coz u got no insurance, n whoever runs into it can press charges against you because they will have to have there insurance pay for it

if they hit a stationary car their insurance would have 2 pay out anyway:haha:

not if your on a traders policy mate, which i am so aslong as the cars in my name i can tax it ok.

in other words you have insurance then on the vehicle on the road.

dan

Member +
its ok guys ive just shifted it round the back of the house. If i need to move it ie when it sells or even if i scrap it i'll just get temp insurance for the day.

Cheers for all the input.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
if they hit a stationary car their insurance would have 2 pay out anyway:haha:

But then you will have to give them your insurance details and if not insured surley would be your fault? Not that I agree with that but hey lol

Arnold

Lifer

Rubbish. Your only fucked if they drive off, otherwise you will claim on theres. You don't need insurance to park it on the street, only road Tax. Only need insurance if your driving the vehicle and even if you need to get it MOT'd, you can get day insurance on it.

vinnie_GT

Fresh Recruit
insurance

ive been done for this mate 6 points 200 fine etc, but to be fair the copper was a b**tard but i was told at court any car on any highway public road etc needs to have all 3 mot tax and insurance its stupid if u ask me but i got caught with him just driving past with anpr and then got a letter so id be weary.

Misterdan88

Member +
Got my glanza parked out side atm, been there for 2 weeks and is not insured. There is atleast 1 police car going past mine every day (yes i do live in a shit area :( lol) and ive never heard anything, although it is tucked away in a corner with a car always parked up close 2 it so no fucker even thinks about robbing it lol.

Will be out there for another 2 weeks too so touch wood i never hear anything!