Can you believe the NHS

sheri

Member +
I fell off my horse on the 23rd Jan and had to go A & E via ambulance with a bad back. I stayed there all day being poked and prodded and then went home after beng told I had swollen discs and they were pressing on the nerves.

fast forward to yesterday and I get a letter asking me to go back as they had revied the x-rays

I've only f**king fractured my vertabre!!:( I've gone from 'keep mobile' to 'don't drive, lift, do anything' and have to see the spinal unit on Monday

the best thing about it all is that I have been pushing through the pain and now found out I could of done more damage :( the gap in the fracture is pretty large too

2 weeks!!! you think they'd of told me sooner wouldn't you!!

*phew feel better for that rant!*

ChrisGT

Member +
I had a hairline crack in one of my vertebrae when I was younger, hurt like fuck! Best of luck with the recovery, get plenty of rest and don't lift a bean!

PS. That's pretty bad of the NHS but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to wait that long for x-rays lol

gv1.3

Admin
wow! Id be seeking legal advice. There is no telling what damage you may have done to yourself.

GP82

Member +
Chuffin' hell, that is frightening to say the least :eek:

Any injuries related to the vertebrae/spinal can be threatening and possibly affect your well being if not taken care off at the instance it occurs. NHS really need to get their act together, that's like a week later they realise it's not what they had seen on the x ray a week before. Someone needs to audit worker's there, make sure they do their work thoroughly!

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
The NHS is not infallible, and you have to appreciate that until the x-rays could be reviewed, they have to base their decision on the facts presented. OK, so 2-weeks is a long time, but that what happens when the NHS is over-burned and under-funded...

People bitch and moan about the NHS, but they fail to appreciate that it's FREE. There are so many malingerers in this country that it's no wonder things don't go as they should.

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
Everthing has it's shortfalls, and everything has its critics. However, as with most things nowadays, you only ever hear about the bad, not the good. Think how many people have been treated fairly, treated well, diagnosed promptly, and have only good things to say. We never hear about them, so I just thought I'd look at it from the other side of the fence...

GP82

Member +
The NHS is not infallible, and you have to appreciate that until the x-rays could be reviewed, they have to base their decision on the facts presented. OK, so 2-weeks is a long time, but that what happens when the NHS is over-burned and under-funded...

People bitch and moan about the NHS, but they fail to appreciate that it's FREE. There are so many malingerers in this country that it's no wonder things don't go as they should.

Fair point!! They continue to make some really bad mistakes, jus' earlier today i listened on the radio where they treated people for haemophilia in the 80's and the patients received blood transfusions which was contaminated with HIV.

ChrisGT

Member +
Fair point!! They continue to make some really bad mistakes, jus' earlier today i listened on the radio where they treated people for haemophilia in the 80's and the patients received blood transfusions which was contaminated with HIV.

Wow. You've only just heard about that? It was a fairly common thing for contaminated blood to be used in transfusions as blood wasn't screened properly. It now is.

gv1.3

Admin
Most health services have their issues but I disagree that any public health service is free, it is paid for by tax payers many of whom thankfully never need to avail heavily of the service they pay for. When they do they should be able to trust that the service they receive is top notch.

Every organisation will make mistakes but that is why they carry very comprehensive liability insurance. Anything to do with spinal injuries which could cause permanent damage for the rest of your life should be treated very seriously. My advice to contact a legal professional was given in the hopes that a legal professional would be able to arrange for you to have medical tests to make sure no permanent damage has been caused due to the mistake made by the hospital. It is better to establish that now than have constant back issues which could debilitate you and result in you paying out of your own pocket to address.

sheri

Member +
Thank you for you well wishes :)

I'm just thankful they noticed when the x-ray was reviewed - also dont feel like such a sissy now from being in so much pain from what I thought was soft tissue damage! :haha:

still think they should of phoned me rather than writing to me esp when they confirmed my telephone number to me when I went back!

I more gutted about not being able to go to the meet today!!

simonjp

Member +
as an employee of the national healt service i have to agree with glanza.co.uk

the health service is being stretched to its limits.

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
Most health services have their issues but I disagree that any public health service is free, it is paid for by tax payers

You know what I mean Mr D... However, I'd imagine that a fair amount of immigrants into the country take advantage of our FREE health service whilst they're being paid benefits...

Rory

Lifer
I had L1 and L3 fractured in an accident.
Feking sore, and wasnt allowed to walk about the ward at all, without aid. Felt useless! :p

You will be fine in no time though. ;)

sheri

Member +
aww rubbish I feel even worse now :(

I was sitting at home sulking 'cso it was such a nice day too wicked photo and drive oppotunities.

Also I forgot to montion when I fist did my back I was on gas an air......hehe I had NOS!!!

cameroon95

Member +
as an employee of the national healt service i have to agree with glanza.co.uk

the health service is being stretched to its limits.

x2

Half of my family are engineers and the other half are in the NHS, either in operational or management positions.

I think it's easy for everyone to bash the NHS but they do do a great job considerating the amount of work they do.

But i do fully sympathsize sherri, that is really bad news and i wish you a speedy recover,rest easy.:)

Sharagath

Member +
damm medics, still making these big mistakes.

people got advised to take painkillers, while they had Mexican flu or some kind. and than there reaction if you point that out when the patient didn't get better.

btw how did your wreck your back?

Everthing has it's shortfalls, and everything has its critics. However, as with most things nowadays, you only ever hear about the bad, not the good. Think how many people have been treated fairly, treated well, diagnosed promptly, and have only good things to say. We never hear about them, so I just thought I'd look at it from the other side of the fence...

x2. My dads just out of hospital after a near death operation and i couldnt praise them enough.No hassles,no added side effects or infections ect.Place was always clean,staff happy to help/talk. Dads doctor said the surgeon was an artist lol.They also found other stuff wrong with him while he was in there that he would never have known about untill it was too late :(