Cap clutch problems

steveep82

Member +
Just put a cap clutch in a ep85 and its really hard to change gear, ive had the engine and box out of the car, and since its been put back in its very hard to get it into 1st or reverse, and quite notchy on all gears, ive bled the slave, looks to be moving fine and was fine before, anybody else had this problem with the cap clutch kits? Pedal is really light, no dodgy noises, same as a stock clutch, and you can get it in gear its just hard, the clutch does work also when in gear fine. Ideas?

jonny-boi32

Member +
i didnt have any issues with mine. no problem selectring gears. the only problem i had way it was very juddery at low revs. but no mechanical issues. u sure it was fitted correct??

steveep82

Member +
It isnt that easy no, but it is better, still notchy though, which it wasnt before the engine and box was taken out.

steveep82

Member +
i didnt have any issues with mine. no problem selectring gears. the only problem i had way it was very juddery at low revs. but no mechanical issues. u sure it was fitted correct??

Pretty sure, i fitted it and ive done 6 or 7 gearbox or clutch replacments before on gts. If it comes to it ill be taking the box off again to have a look, but it doesnt seem like a fitting issue, the clutch works its just the engagment that is bad

jonny-boi32

Member +
It isnt that easy no, but it is better, still notchy though, which it wasnt before the engine and box was taken out.

if anything should it not make the pedal stiffer?!? there is a heavier pressure plate?? did u put in new release bearing or use old one??

mike_1984

Member +
I had on going problems with these a year or so ago, even had a replacement sent out which was poor quality like the original. Changed everything from master cylinder to clutch fork and inbetween but still couldn't get them to work. Would struggle to engage gears and it wouldn't release fully either.

In the end i got so annoyed I put them in the bin and forked out for a helix paddle, haven't had any problems with it yet :)

One thing i also noticed by accident, when cleaning the first one i took back out with brake cleaner it was actually and exedy center plate with new pucks badly riveted on? That's my experience of them anyway.

steveep82

Member +
hmm, i mybe taking this bloody clutch out to inspect then, Im wondering weather ive put the paddle itself the wrong way round? Is that even possible?

steveep82

Member +
Both cables are moving, i checked that yesterday, im wondering whether it may need some adjustment there, ill have a better look when im not laid up at home with a cold. You think it could be the paddle in the wrong way round rory? As i said im not sure weather it can be done but it would be nice to get that thought out of my head!

Rory

Lifer
Mabey worth looking at but im pretty sure it would be hard to put it in the wrong way?

Its weird that its only 1st and reverse though..

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
had no problem with mine.. and still going good. but could be a bad unit?

but something is wrong if you felt the pedal light! as it really isnt! id check selectors on the gbox are fine before you take the gbox out again..

what oil did you use?

steveep82

Member +
i havent changed the oil on the box yet, the box was fine before removal and fitting of the clutch. Strange, another person that had a cap clutch in their glanza said it felt almost stock, as this one does? Anybody know if cap clutches are made from stratch then or are they refurbished oem clutches with modified paddles?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i havent changed the oil on the box yet, the box was fine before removal and fitting of the clutch. Strange, another person that had a cap clutch in their glanza said it felt almost stock, as this one does? Anybody know if cap clutches are made from stratch then or are they refurbished oem clutches with modified paddles?

defenitly not as stock! lmao.

they say they are not refurbished but new units... if thats true or not.. i dont know mate!

steveep82

Member +
Hmm, i may try bleeding it right through with new fluid and see if that makes a difference and check the selector cables and the sugar cube before I take the clutch out to inspect then, my pedal is not stiff at all though, just like stock, maybe a little harder but negligable.

steveep82

Member +
Well, i have been working on this and after adjusting and bleeding the clutch a lot i have got it pretty good, it still has a bit of trouble getting into 1st and reverse at standstill but after that its fine and smooth through the gears. The slave cylinder ive noticed is extended with the pedal up by about 8-10mm compared to both the other gts i have in my workshop, which seems a little odd?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
The slave cylinder ive noticed is extended with the pedal up by about 8-10mm compared to both the other gts i have in my workshop, which seems a little odd?

yep even mine... a friend of mine noticed that.. so probably its cos of the same clutch. but i dont have these problems

Ted

Member +
had same problem with a cap clutch, replaced the cover with an exedy one using the plate and it worked then.