car gets uncontroleable at boost

tip

Member +
hi my brother's gt starlet 4WD gets really uncontroleable, when boost comes in the car pulls to the right and when you pull back it goes to much to the left. my suspension is all good, went to the shop to align the car they told me it's good. except i 've noticed that the car doesn't have a swaybar in the front, it does have the bolts and wholes to fit one. to install the swaybar i had to remove the shaft connecting the rear wheels with the gearbox..., so i installed the shaft but now that the shaft's installed i can't bolt up the shaft that connects the gearbox with the rear wheel...,

has anyone met this problem?

could it be because of my panhardbar because i have lowered the car but did not install a adjustable panhard bar, so now if you look at the car it looks like one sid is lower than the other...

thanks

Stu-

Member +
it might need a better driver buddy.

Haha thats a proactive reply :)

So the drive shaft isn't aligning right now? How is the car jacked up? On a hoist or just on axle stands/jack? Try to get the weight balance equal ie all four corners up off the gound on axle stands so that the weight is not biased to one corner etc which could affect trying to line it back up.

With your sway bar install - I'm taking its connected both sides and everything is bolted back in place? Might pay to losen the sway bar off to help make it clear better. With the panhard it does pay to make sure its adjusted right - just take a measure from the chassis rail to the inside of the rim to get the difference.

Just ideas anyway.
As above, some photos would mean your more likely to get ideas from the forum.
Good luck

Last edited:

tip

Member +
you're right i should've put some pics here they are:
this the shaft that isn't fitting...
P280412_1045_01.jpg

the shaft has to connect to this...
P280412_1053.jpg

here is what holds the shaft to the gearbox...
P280412_1058.jpg

here is how i bolted it up on the body...
P280412_1055.jpg

here is how i bolted it up on the under front arm of the car....
P280412_1056.jpg

i have noticed that my engine mount is a goner could this be the reason why the car is pulling one way??
P280412_1059.jpg

@stu- i did jack the car up on one side but after i installed the swaybar i removed the jack's and looked if everything sits in the right place, but it stayed the same...
i don't have an adjustable panhard i was asking if not having one could cause for the car to be unstable...

thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited:

tip

Member +
when i bought the EP85 it didn't have a swaybar the holes on the body were i have to bolt on the swaybar were plugged with rubbers. the swaybar i tried to put on the car is from a starlet.

do you have pic of the ep85 specific swaybar? so i search for it...

triple j

Member +
hahaha, that's easy for you to say...., if you were in my country i'd let you drive the car and see what you'd have said then....

trust me man i would drive it ha ha, am just messing about, hope u get it sorted out .

weeJohn

Lifer
EP85/95 front sway bars are different from the E(82/92s. If that is an 4WD bar I think you might have it on upside down. Her is some pics of the bar on mine.

SPA50004.jpg

SPA50015.jpg

SPA50004.jpg

STARLET N/A

Member +
what you need to do is get the engine back on its mount!!! that is dangerous!!

when you have done that check the other mounts like the rear gearbox mount just in case.

then look and compare to the pics WeeJhon has given you. make sure its all right the mounts and the sway bar.

Last edited:

tip

Member +
thanks guys, do you know where i can buy a ep85 specific swaybar and maybe poly engine mounts??

or should i try stock engine mounts again??