Car heating up

Starletfreak

Member +
Guys

My car is heating when engine is under heavy load,it pushes water out if the expension bottle. My mechanic tells me that it can be the headgasket.

Now ive bought myself an overhaul kit, am gonna remove the head and replace the headgasket. My question will i have to skim the head a little bit just to be sure that it is flat? will that raise my compression a lot?

:rolleyes:

daz gt

Member +
aslong as it hasnt badly overheated it should be ok, best way to check is when the head is off get a metal ruler and put it on its edge on the head and shine a torch from one side to the other and if you can see the light under it at some points chances are its warped and would need further investigation. youl get the idea from the pic

headwarp2.jpg

Starletfreak

Member +
Thanks man, so a little shaving will not do any harm. I will check when the head is being removed. will the standard headgasket be okay to use after skim?

TRD1mos

Member +
Check oil if has water in (you ll figure out if you collect oil in a bucket) and also take a hose and wash inside the radiator and also engine (water hoses that goes in and out) and also check thermostat.My opinion is either head gasket or thermostat.

corofin12345

Member +
if the heaters in the car are cold its your thermostat otherwise its your hg, try not drive the car anymore as it will do more damage to the head if the hg is on the way out

Starletfreak

Member +
I've tried to clean the radiator, and drived for a little bit after hill climbing overheating, i rull out thermostat cause i had it removed some time ago. Am not driving my car for now am scared might do more damage and am waitng for my td04 kit,might as well wait and do everything once.

Thanks guys for the advice.