Car seems like its about to cut out...

daryn

Member +
hey there,

i wonder if anyone could help me.
my cars been running great since i got it at the start of may! like an absolute dream.. til just a few weeks ago, i noticed whilst driving, it started to judder slightly,, felt like the clutch was slipping, but its not that, it was as if the car was ready for cutting out, but then it kicked back in. When i came to a stop at traffic lights, the revs dropped, and i had to rev it to keep it from cutting out. its like a judder as if ur in too high of a gear? similar to that.. this went away, but then yesterday, the same problem came back. and ive just got such a loss of power, and seems to be doing it alot, even when on boost. when i put window down and listen, its as if the exhaust is blocked :S.. thats what it sounds like.. then all of a sudden, it will just start acting normal again, so im guessing this must be an electrical problem, could this be the lambda sensor thats causing this?? ive noticed im going through alot more fuel too... maybe 80km - to a quarter tank.

any help will be appreciated.

Daryn.

dac69er

Super Moderator
mine acts similarly on startup sometimes. i have tried all manner of things and am still yet to find the problem.

in your case i would check all the obvious things first like the igntiion system, ground points. leaky vac hoses. bad connections on sensors. do an ecu fault check to see if you get any fault codes.

daryn

Member +
yeah thanks, seems to only happen to me when warm... never when driving when cold... or on short journeys.. ive just put new plugs in about a month ago... but there fine. same as the old ones... ngk iridium.. ive tried all earth points.. no leaky vac hoses.. so i guess all i can do is get an ecu check.. wheres best to go for this? just a small garage? i guess toyota would be a rip off eh.

daryn

Member +
what condition are the leads, distributor cap and rotor arm in?

Problem went away for a few months, and now came back, checked leads, new plugs, new distributor cap, and new rotorarm! still the same! dont know what this problem could be!!! really beginning to bug me!

H_D

Member +
I had this problem shortly after purchasing my V....Turned out the timing was slightly retarted after setting the timing back to normal its been absoloutly fine

daryn

Member +
i started from the beginning again, new set of plugs, new distributor cap, and new rotor arm. and seems to be running perfect again!