Car Storage

Big_Daddy

Member +
Not sure if this in the right section. (mods plz move if needed).

Need to park my car up for a month or may be longer on my drive. Due to lack of cash for the insurance renewal.
Need to be aware of anything that may need attention whilst its s park. eg battery. plugs ect
Any suggestion would be helpfull to ensure the car dont play up when the times come.

Spoonz

Member +
Take the battery of. So wen u get the car back out it will be charged.
Maybe take the steering wheel of so ppl dont steal it??
You never know.
Is the car still taxed. You could also just have 3rd party insurance on your car

Big_Daddy

Member +
I have a long drive with cat1 alarm so robbing wont be a issue. the tax & mot is due soon in the next month :( May have to sworn if of the road,

dac69er

Super Moderator
alarm wont work with the battery removed unless it has a backup.

if its just for a month clean it and dry it, take it for a quick spin to get any water thats sitting in sills etc out. stick a car cover on it and your sorted. dont leave the handbrake on either, just put it in gear.

and what is the point in 3rd party insurance when its not on the road? 3rd party only covers the other driver in the event of an accident. if its no being driven then it may as well not be insured.

Spoonz

Member +
U mite aswell SORN it of the road i did this for mine. Wen i took it of the road.
Just take the battery of then and keep the car clean and that so the paint dont fade.
Depending how long its of the road of course

Big_Daddy

Member +
The alarm has a backup battery but dont think the alarm will arm whilst battery disconnected. Got one of those solar chargers that you leave in your windscreen, should help keep the battery alive.
Well true say about the paint. if i wash it, it still will atract dirt like a magnet as we have loads of plants around the drive.

Big_Daddy

Member +
What i ment is, even with a car cover, the dirt still enters and sticks to the paint, like a brown layer.

TurboDave

Member +
If its only for a month i bet if you leave the battery connected etc so the alarm still works when you get in it 1 month after park up you wont even know it has been standing.

Do leave the handbrake off though.

dac69er

Super Moderator
If its only for a month i bet if you leave the battery connected etc so the alarm still works when you get in it 1 month after park up you wont even know it has been standing.

Do leave the handbrake off though.

i leave my MX5 and starlet for months at a time without using and you dont notice its been standing. apart from the engine taps a touch more on initial startup as the oil has all sunk to the bottom.

Big_Daddy

Member +
why leave the handbreak off? what happens if you do? dont want it rolling into the flowers or bump other cars behind it. lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
leave it in gear, or stick some chocks under the wheels. if you leave the handbrake on it can sieze on