car wandering to the left?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i recently replaced both trackrod ends on the car as the rubbers on the old ones were split.

i set the tracking up with my dads dunlop tracking gauge:

AGO40_v2.jpg

after wards i fitted my alloys as the tread on my other wheels was at the legal limit.

after fitting the alloys noticed that the car wanders to the left all the time, so went back and double checked the alignment, pretty much spot on still.
also checked the rear axle was aligned, adjusted that about 1mm.

it is still the same.

before i faff about swapping wheels again. could the wandering be down to the tires on the alloys? they are nankangs, they are quite old and they are pretty worn.

getting new tires on my other wheel next week so if its likely to just be tires i will leave it until next week before i worry about it.

thanks

5e colin

Member +
track the car with the alloys on it ??

and are you using the starlet settings there not all tracked to the same setting !!!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
i did it before and after. it wasnt any different.

im doing it parallel. thats what i have on all my starlets and they are fine. i think the standard setting is toe out 0.5mm.

they should all be the same, unless you want something particular for a certain setup.

5e colin

Member +
ya just wanted to check as many just track to O and have nervouse front ends

are you on coils??? if 1 is a tat lower then the other side it will pull to ????

thats me done here dont know wat else it could be

dac69er

Super Moderator
Stock suspension, just tein lowering springs and a whiteline panhard rod.

Was fine before replacing the trackrod end and fitting the alloys.

Might have to splash out for an overpriced laser alignment and get some new tires fitted. If it doesn't drive straight them, something must be up!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
U should get her laser lined dacer, it's the only way these days.

Laser alignment is money for old rope. There is no problem with doing it oldskool.
I can't see the point in paying £40 for some window licking regards with no gcse's to pretend to laser align my car when I can do it myself.

As I said, I have done all my other cars myself and never had any problems. I've never had a lot of luck in the past with garages doing anything tbh, including laser alignment

Last edited:

davehart

Member +
Laser alignment is money for old rope. There is no problem with doing it oldskool.
I can't see the point in paying £40 for some window licking regards with no gcse's to pretend to laser align my car when I can do it myself.

As I said, I have done all my other cars myself and never had any problems. I've never had a lot of luck in the past with garages doing anything tbh, including laser alignment

It's only £20 at my local tyre place and they do a superb job :)

To eliminate the tyres can you not swop over the alloys for another set to see if it does the same? If it does not, its either the tyre or the rim. If it does, then it must be something in the suspension.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Swapped wheels from back to front and she is running straight and true

Bloddy crappy second hand nankangs !!!