Car won't start but relay is buzzing.

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Well I've been doing a 4efte swap into a 92 tercel. As we went to start it, it doesn't crank but makes a buzzing noise from the relay. Could it be grounds? Any idea guys?

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be if its buzzing. or just a generally bad connection. which relay is buzzing exactly? and how much did you swap electrically? did you just stick in the turbo engine loom?

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Had gt revva over at tercelonline build me a harness from the cut 4efte one I got and a 3ee harness. I believe its the am1 relay and at first when we were missing relay nothing worked except interior lights. Headlights came on a second and turned off. Now the car still doesn't crank but were getting buzzing from the relay. The last thing we put in was a new thermostat housing from a 3ee out of a tercel.

dac69er

Super Moderator
assuming the car was fine before you did the swap the only problem could be the loom. i would contact the lad who made it to see if he has any idea. only he will know exactly how he wired it.

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Alright so we have every relay replaced other than the efi relay. All the lights work interior and exterior. The car doesn't crank and the fuel pump doesn't turn on. The battery is completely charged and working. We already put a ground to the thermostat housing and have checked all the others. Tomorrow we are gonna go get a efi relay and try to run grounds everywhere off the motor and trans. Any other ideas it could be?

Btw the guy I got my harness from is renowned for the work he does. The harness looks perfect and I'd rather not tear it apart looking for issues that probably aren't there lol.

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds exactly like my engine swap. needed to change a couple of wires round.

at the end of the day, the bloke is human and will make mistakes.

if the car worked before and all you have changed is the loom and everything is connected up as it should be, then it will be the loom.

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Sorry I might have explained wrong. I had a Tercel with a 3ee motor in it and went for 4efte for my first swap. I bought the motor here in the US from JDMEngineDepot out of New Jersey. The send me a great looking motor but with a horrible cut harness. Me and my mates tried wiring it ourselves but to no prevail. So we sent the harness to gt revva at Tercelonline and he built me the hybrid harness from a clean 3ee harness and my cut 4efte harness. I don't know if the motor worked before cause I've never had it running. If anything it could be missing a ground somewhere or something simple. We've already checked all the plugs to known ep92 diagrams and the colors and such seem to fit to the ecu pin outs to the various plugs. I'm wondering what could be the various things other then the loom that could be causing no spark and no fuel. Also we are getting power to all the internal and external lights.

dac69er

Super Moderator
the lights are on a seperate loom.

how much of the loom have you changed? is it just the loom that goes through the centre of the firewall that basically connects the ecu to the engine?

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Its the whole harness. From the ecu to every thing under the hood. Here's picture

2u7ulag.jpg

J25GTi

Lifer
Well you need to be checking where you are getting power etc. Power to coil, fuel pump etc... If not then trace it back.

dac69er

Super Moderator
that is just the engine loom.

if the car (your tercel) ran ok before hand then it is a problem with the wiring on this loom , or a fuse or relay has blown for some reason if the car wont crank or the fuel pump wont run.

im not saying the loom as a bad job as it actually looks good, but 1 wire could be incorrect or something silly like that.

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Just talked to the guy who made my loom and he said there's nothing wrong with the harness. He tests them prior to shipping and his work is superb. I don't have the original fusebox in there anymore because my old one was cracked and during the removal of the old motor my mate hit it and it broke in half lol. So right now I don't know what year car the fusebox is out of because I didn't grab it. So right now I'm guessing its gotta be the fusebox or possible still a ground. Were gonna try grounding everything after we get this efi relay and see how it goes. If no luck then were going to find a fusebox out of a 92 tercel dx and put all the new fuses and relays in and try it. If no luck then lol were gonna see whats getting power and whats not ect and move along from there.

dac69er

Super Moderator
why didnt you say. if the fusebox has been changed then it will be that if the loom is tested before being sent out.

all the fuseboxes are wired slightly differently when you go between models and ages, even starlets.

that loom will only work with the same fusebox setup as it was tested on. if yours is different that will be your problem.

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Lol found out the fusebox I have is from a 92 Tercel Dx which is what my harness was wired for. It has to be a fuse/relay or a ground somewhere.