Car wont start up?

JDubz

Member +
I rercently changed my water pump and now when i go to start my car it wont turn on? Like it will make a click click click noise like its trying to start but it wont?

When i tried crash starting it, it started no problems, but once i took my foot off the gas it died straight away?

Any help guys?

Last edited:

glanzaV195

Member +
sounds like you have a flat battery and its not charging when running,
have you checked your alternator belt is intact?
if it is,
try to bump start it again, and when running and with revs picked up check battery voltage, should be at about 14 if the alternator is charging.

JDubz

Member +
Thanks for the help man... Ill check as soon as i get home from work. Repp added!

Anyother opionions just incase?

Just kinda weird as car was starting untill i changed my water pump lol.

JDubz

Member +
Just checked the car, and the battery is charing proberly.

If the timming is out would that cause it?

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
the ticking noise is a flat battery, get a pair off jump leads should straight strate away :)

Last edited:

Nwimie

Member +
Time for a new battery mate or give the one you have a quick charge, or as suggested jump leads. Then go for a nice long drive to give it some charge.

glanzaV195

Member +
Time for a new battery mate or give the one you have a quick charge, or as suggested jump leads. Then go for a nice long drive to give it some charge.

before splashing out on a new one, or even trying to charge it, check the cell levels if you can, if needs be top up with distilled water, should hold a charge then:)

weeJohn

Lifer
Also check the auxillary belt again, the water pump and altenator are run off the same belt.

Cant see the timing having anything to do with it

JDubz

Member +
Also check the auxillary belt again, the water pump and altenator are run off the same belt.

Cant see the timing having anything to do with it

Well i didnt check the alternator myself, a mate did as i was at work. So ill double check it just incase he was wrong. It dose sound like the battery isnt charging?

When my mate had a look at it he keeps on telling me that its the timming belt. But it dosnt make scence as i havnt touched it lol.

weeJohn

Lifer
If the timing belt was a problem it would not run, and you had it going before so tell him thats deffinately not it.

As the lads have said, when the battery is dead the starter will not turn and it just clicks really fast but does nothing else. If you got the car started and it would not run when the revs dropped, that points to the battery as well.

No point in putting a new battery in but if its not charging properly, or that one will soon be fucked as well.

Check the battery/altenator by measuring the voltage across the 2 terminals of the battery with a multimeter. It should be about 11.5 to 12.5 volts with everything switched off.
If when you try to start the car the voltage drops way down it points towards a bad battery.
When the car is running, an easy test to see if it is charging is the voltage across the battery should be about 13.5 volts. The altenator could still be a problem even if doing this but so get it checked out at a garage also.

weeJohn

Lifer
he's already checked the belt, and its charging, so belt has to be intact:homer:

See his post a few down there mate, his mate checked it, think thats the same mate that is telling him the timing belt is his problem, sounds like his advice is good.

danturbo4311

Member +
It wont be your timing belt if youve only changed the water pump as you havent got to touch that, the belt which drives the alt, water pump is not timed to anything its just an acc. belt. as others have said must definetly flat battery was the belt squeaking before you changed the pump as if its was slipping this would probably be why your alternator werent charging the battery

glanzaV195

Member +
See his post a few down there mate, his mate checked it, think thats the same mate that is telling him the timing belt is his problem, sounds like his advice is good.
my post was before this:
Well i didnt check the alternator myself, a mate did as i was at work. So ill double check it just incase he was wrong. It dose sound like the battery isnt charging?
When my mate had a look at it he keeps on telling me that its the timming belt. But it dosnt make scence as i havnt touched it lol.
but after this,
Just checked the car, and the battery is charing proberly.

If the timming is out would that cause it?

which suggested he had checked it!!!, i cant predict the future and know something thats not been posted thankyou very much!!!!

GTti

Member +
Doesn't sound like the battery, sounds like an earth strap - check the battery and engine earth, if it's not a dodgy earth then perhaps the starter motor.

If the battery is garbage or low then the engine will still crank - just very poorly. If it's down to an earth it'll cause the startor motor solenoid just to click repeatedly but the engine won't crank.

Last edited:

glanzaV195

Member +
If the battery is garbage or low then the engine will still crank - just very poorly. If it's down to an earth it'll cause the startor motor solenoid just to click repeatedly but the engine won't crank.

wrong! you got it kind of all back to front buddy,
if the battery is flat enough it will just make the solenoid click,
usually a bad earth causes slow cranking, unless you have no engine earth connected at all, then it would be earthing through the throttle cable etc when you bump started it.
to eliminate the earth as a problem, clip a jump lead on the block and clip the other end to the negitive battery terminal.

Gee

Member +
Hmm..mine turned over, but slowy and sometimes I had to bump start it by pushing it down the road or just keep trying and pumping the gas.

I noticed a spark under the hood when cranking, looked like it was coming from a dodgy earth. So sorted that today and will see how it goes on.