Ceramic coating on Piston tops?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Ok the time has come to buy some forged pistons, I wanna run a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous and want people opinoins on if I should get them coated or not?

Also if any traders see this feel free to send me a quote for 74mm Wiseco pistons both coated and not.

Thanks

Phil

Super Moderator
Ok the time has come to buy some forged pistons, I wanna run a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous and want people opinoins on if I should get them coated or not?

Also if any traders see this feel free to send me a quote for 74mm Wiseco pistons both coated and not.

Thanks

you hoping to be all built and ready to run by the summer gareth?

i hope so lol :)

im sure the traders will be along shortly for some post christmas business!
all the best

Phil

dantheman

Member +
Coating the piston's crown and top will cause heat reflectivity, driving a percentage of any detonation energy back into the fuel burn zone, to increase fuel burn efficiency. It will also lower carbon buildup, which reduces detonation quality, as it builds up on the piston's crown and increases the risk of detonation damage to the piston crown surface. By protecting the crown and land diameter surfaces, it will allow for a leaner fuel mixture.

Piston skirts can be coated to create an excellent dry sliding surface during engine start-up and will help eliminate skirt slap during initial engine run-in. Using a dry coating will fight against scuffing and abrasion of the piston skirt during its stroke travel inside the engine block cylinder. The inside of the piston can also be coated with an oil-shedding coating to cut parasitic drag and return oil to the sump faster. Ceramic coatings can also be applied over the piston ring contact face of OEM hard chromium, which provides lowering friction between the ring face and cylinder inner bore surface scuffing, and also improves wear resistance.

Phil

Super Moderator
Coating the piston's crown and top will cause heat reflectivity, driving a percentage of any detonation energy back into the fuel burn zone, to increase fuel burn efficiency. It will also lower carbon buildup, which reduces detonation quality, as it builds up on the piston's crown and increases the risk of detonation damage to the piston crown surface. By protecting the crown and land diameter surfaces, it will allow for a leaner fuel mixture.

Piston skirts can be coated to create an excellent dry sliding surface during engine start-up and will help eliminate skirt slap during initial engine run-in. Using a dry coating will fight against scuffing and abrasion of the piston skirt during its stroke travel inside the engine block cylinder. The inside of the piston can also be coated with an oil-shedding coating to cut parasitic drag and return oil to the sump faster. Ceramic coatings can also be applied over the piston ring contact face of OEM hard chromium, which provides lowering friction between the ring face and cylinder inner bore surface scuffing, and also improves wear resistance.

nice info!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I'd like to have it all in for the summer runs, money will prob only permit a forged build with cams and hybrid td04 for then, Nitrous prob next winter, just depends on how much crap the woman wants over the next year lol!

I never knew you could coat the sides.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Lol I wish! Maybe if I quit drinkin so much lol :)

The diffs not all I had hoped it would be in straight lines but that could be down to the non existant gearbox mount I have so ordered em Toy tunning ones today to see how that goes.

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
the coating and friction reducer wont last forever, especially with the mileage you guys do. perhaps 5k at most, not more

A

Animal GT

Lol I wish! Maybe if I quit drinkin so much lol :)

The diffs not all I had hoped it would be in straight lines but that could be down to the non existant gearbox mount I have so ordered em Toy tunning ones today to see how that goes.

lol.yea a few mates told me that allright they said of the money ur gona spend on a diff ur gona be disapointed! all u realy notice it on track like coming out of corners etc! so that sorta put me off..

dantheman

Member +
not to mention the knocking on cornering at low speeds.. hence why im taking mine back out again :p no good for an everyday road car in my opinion

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Mine is Quaife, its completly silent in all situations. I do have more grip in 2nd gear and I can launch in 1st much more easily without spinning but my god when u do over step the mark the car pulls u everywhere lol, just a learning curve.

In corners its absolutly superb.

I would expect the coating to need replaced now and again but its taken me 2 and a half years to do 5k miles lol! I only use it when I want a little satisfaction, the Octavia is my everyday car.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Havn't recieved any quotes yet though one trader is onto it, he's just to find out from his supplier though I guess with the holidays there will be a delay.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I'm only for coating them for the nitrous, dunno if theres really anypoint for standard high boost applications.

Also considering water injection, still researching it though.