changing clutch release bearing, what else should i do?

durmz

Member +
basically my clutch release bearing is rattling its tits off so im going to get on with it and change it.

my question is, what will i need? obviously the bearing, new gearbox oil.

should i get new gearbox seals? as with a small pinch they can fail.

is it pointless going through the effort of changing the bearing without the clutch? im starting to go up the power range a little now, running a ct9 at nearly a bar, should i go something like organic clutch?

but mainly, while the gearbox is off the engine I will have better access to the cambelt side of the engine, would now be a good time to change oil and water pump? anything else?? the engine has done like 130 thou miles

im really looking for opinions and ideas, what would you do? thanks

churcherj

Member +
basically my clutch release bearing is rattling its tits off so im going to get on with it and change it.

my question is, what will i need? obviously the bearing, new gearbox oil.

should i get new gearbox seals? as with a small pinch they can fail.

is it pointless going through the effort of changing the bearing without the clutch? im starting to go up the power range a little now, running a ct9 at nearly a bar, should i go something like organic clutch?

but mainly, while the gearbox is off the engine I will have better access to the cambelt side of the engine, would now be a good time to change oil and water pump? anything else?? the engine has done like 130 thou miles

im really looking for opinions and ideas, what would you do? thanks

hows ur clutch holding up mate? if it was me i would change it while i was there, just because im lazy and wudnt do it another time :) you could change the pumps for peice of mind but why change them if they are ok? defo change the gearbox oil if you do drain it. if u plan on going for bigger power you might aswell drop in a new clutch. im doing the same soon, and biting the bullet and getting a lightweight fly aswell!

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Would recommend the paddle clutch from exedy. Heard the organic ones don’t hold out for long... paddle are only fifty or so quid more.. would get the flywheel skimmed if your putting a new clutch in, heard the paddle judders big time in some cases if not..

durmz

Member +
yeah but once pumps are not ok they lead to failure, its not really like they give you a heads up unless ure rocking gauges, which im not.

clutch is ok atm, not great under quick launches/getaways

churcherj

Member +
Would recommend the paddle clutch from exedy. Heard the organic ones don’t hold out for long... paddle are only fifty or so quid more.. would get the flywheel skimmed if your putting a new clutch in, heard the paddle judders big time in some cases if not..

ye ive driven a mates with the exedy paddle, it seriously was the most juddery drive ive ever had lol, very stiff and harsh, but wud grip amazing under launch! ye suppose if youve got the dollar replace the pumps, i dont see why not mate :)

Blak_Mamber

Member +
yeah but once pumps are not ok they lead to failure, its not really like they give you a heads up unless ure rocking gauges, which im not.

clutch is ok atm, not great under quick launches/getaways

May aswell replace for piece of mind. Not loads of cash for parts that are pretty damn important...

Is your still standard clutch? Cant believe thats still going after increased boost etc.. I would change it unless your planning on getting the gearbox off again any time soon etc.. up to you & your cash flow :p

churcherj

Member +
May aswell replace for piece of mind. Not loads of cash for parts that are pretty damn important...

Is your still standard clutch? Cant believe thats still going after increased boost etc.. I would change it unless your planning on getting the gearbox off again any time soon etc.. up to you & your cash flow :p

i would say to change it, doubt it would last ages if your running a standard one, im running a td04 at 0.7 bar and my clutch has shat itself, slipping like a bitch, i would imagine your clutch wouldnt last particulary long at 1 bar even on the ct9, specially if you drive it hard, if you drive it easy it will probably last ages...

durmz

Member +
Cant help but be drawn towards the blits active kit, its up for like 580 atm so 600 on ure door, alot of dough, but the whole caboodle

churcherj

Member +
Cant help but be drawn towards the blits active kit, its up for like 580 atm so 600 on ure door, alot of dough, but the whole caboodle

Exactly what im going for mate! made that decision yesterday :) i was looking at a light fly and a paddle clutch but priced up seperately thats nearly 600 quid, and the blitz active is meana be a beast of a clutch! bargain considering it comes with the light flywheel and the whole clutch kit.