changing coil springs

dark_knight

Member +
coil spring swap

you will need coil compressors or lots of rope & brute strength.. :)
here's a basic guide:

- take the coilovers off the car
- using coil compressors, wind the springs down a notch (i usually use rope to secure the springs down just in case the compressors slip! :( )
- take off the damper top nut
- remove the top mounts
- remove the old springs from the compressors slowly (the rope comes in handy here to help ease the tension off)
- put the compressors on the new springs & compress them to fit
- reassemble everything in reverse, inspecting and replacing anything that is excessively damaged

hope that gives you some sense of direction on what you need to do.. :D

gtphayer

Member +
i changed mine on my SR today and i didnt need a compressor just pushed it down and screwed the nut up just make sure you locate the top cup mate

dark_knight

Member +
coil spring danger warning

@gtphayer: you must have been talking about the rear coilies when you mentioned that you pushed them down (by hand i presume).

note to other members, do not try this with the front springs..! they store a lot more potential energy when still coupled with the damper. you should not attempt to remove the springs without first compressing or securing them with some rope.​

all in all, take extreme precaution when dealing with springs.. we wouldn't want members not being able to post here after they lost a finger or two.. or an eye.. :p

gtphayer

Member +
no was a front one it wernt coil overs it was just a standard SR front shock and spring, only has to push it down 10mm and the nut was on so couldnt spring out on me. I would not recommend it but i didnt have a compressor as it was at work :)

dark_knight

Member +
lowering springs?

@gtphayer: either you are a very strong man, or perhaps these were lowering springs..? :p lol
most times you need nothing short of brute force to compress them.. :D

dark_knight

Member +
rear damper removal

@ST3V3 TH3 STARLET: you can get a mole grip or adjustable spanner to grip the top part of the damper strut - it's bevelled/flattened so you should have some grip on it - then you can use a ring spanner to grab the nut - i could be wrong but i think it's a 14mm.

it's said this is done easier with the unit on the car since you have more leverage from the damper still being held by the top-mount but it's also possible to undo them while off the car.

gtphayer

Member +
yer it is pretty low so guess so :) i do standard springs at work and i would have to been the size of the moon to do them by hand lol