checking ICV

tip

Member +
hey my car is idling high..., so i changed all of the vacuum hose, cleaned the throttlebody, ICV and Iacv, still idles high. i asked a friend to lend the spare he has to see if it;s my ICV valve and he told me it's not necessary it can be checked...

we removed the solenoid started the car and he was checking if air is going in the solenoid by blowing in it, and the he removed the plug of the ICV to see if the solenoid is closed...
by doing this he told me that yhe icv is good,

my question is, can ICV's be checked if it's bad or not? and if they can be checked is this the right way?

Skalabala

Member +
If it is a steady idle then I would look at timing.
And then go to the throttle stop screw and turn it out and see if this will solve it.
Normally if a ICV is faulty you will not have a steady idle and the car could also cut out after a push on the throttle.
If you plug out the valve then the car should give you erratic idling, this also means that it is working.

tip

Member +
oke thanks for replying. the problem is that the car idles at 1200 rpm when cold and when it gets hot it goes up to 1700rpm. with plugging out the valve do you mean remove the valve from the intake or remove the electric connector on the valve? when i removed the plug from the ICV with car started nothing happened idle stayed the same...,

the throttle stop screw is screwed in to the end, and i cant check the timing cause the idle is too high. can i just slack the screws from the distributer and turn it to see if the idle is changing?

i have a AFPR on the car and the guy who set it up for me set it up to 80Psi on idle could it be because of this?

tip

Member +
Check for leaks it might be pulling air somewhere

i have changed all of the vacuum lines litteraly all of them..., no change, cleaned the throttlebody, sprayed carburater cleaner around the intake gasket to check if it's leaking or craked nothing but nothing helped...

SupaStu

Member +
You wouldnt be running aircon at the same time would you? Having the aircon on brings the idle up to counter act the power needed for it.

Last edited: