Clear reverse scoop - discuss

jezza

Lifer
I'm working on a clear reverse scoop and just received the first sample from my supplier. It's made of 3mm PETG plastic. The plan is to neatly bond the bracket shown in the pics to the underside of the scoop. The bracket will have 4 studs for bolting through the original hole positions.

My main concern is temperature with radiant heat from the manifold especially. The material can withstand approx 80 degress celcius before deforming. I suppose the first step will be to get it fitted properly and test it out. Last thing I want is a molten plastic scoop draped over my manifold.

I have the option of painting or not.

SDC13513.jpg

SDC13508.jpg

What are your thoughts? Should I leave it clear?

sanchez

Member +
That does look pretty cool mate, nice one :rockon:

But surely painting it would defeat the object of having a clear one??

jezza

Lifer
looks cool that, but cant he get a material to withstand heat better than 80 degrees

I'll need to try out this one and see but I'll do a bit of research on thermal properties of other materials.

If I'm going to stay with clear, I might consider adding 4 recesses with 4 holes so the scoop could be bolted directly to the bonnet. That way, there would be less chance of making a mess when trying to bond the bracket on. What you think?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
probably it will get yellowish with heat.

you need to try one on a car with a manifold without heatwrap.. you should get one sent to a member *points to himself* and test it for you :p

Fatman

Member +
Will easily reach 80+ degrees and turn to goo. I'd love to be proved wrong but it's unlikely to last :(