Clio 172 any good?

matt walters

Member +
my mate had one for about 6 months. Never had any trouble with it and he said it handled well, got rid in the end because of how much petrol he was putting through it.↲Oh and there about as quick up to 80 as a standard glanza ;)

I have one just now. Awesome handling cars. Speed wise not sure of a comparison as mine has itb's and omex and never had a play with any other cars.

Clutch's go quite easily though and they don't like hard launches, standard exhausts rot far to easily and standard springs and dampeners die easily as well. And not massively economical either but nice cars though.

brownyboy

Fresh Recruit
had 3 of them now 2 FF and 1 Cup, cup was by far the better handling one but the luxurys that you get in the 172's/182's are awesome. Mine has decided to die on me at the mo though, immobiliser issues.

If your going to look at one the most important thing after MOT is to check that the cambelt has been changed, they need doing every 60k miles and if it goes, game over basically. Will cost a good £500 to get replaced with the aux belt at the same time so bare that in mind pal

ASHep82

Member +
Thanks guys iv been offered a swap for my Glanza I really don't know what to do I might just keep it and spend a bit more money it.the other night slates fell off my roof and hit my car iv been quoted £200 to sort it so it's not too bad

wesgt

Lifer
my mate had one for about 6 months. Never had any trouble with it and he said it handled well, got rid in the end because of how much petrol he was putting through it.↲Oh and there about as quick up to 80 as a standard glanza ;)

the clio you were in must have been sick, because they're a lot quicker than standard glanza, more bhp and more torque and weigh feck all!
i had a 182, awesome little car, handled like it was on rails, had no problem taking ek9's or dc2's for that matter, so much torque, you just press the pedal and you're gone! i'll get another some day. i say go for it, you won't be disappointed.
also, fuel consumption was very good, i was getting 35ish to a gallon

KrissyB

Member +
the clio you were in must have been sick, because they're a lot quicker than standard glanza, more bhp and more torque and weigh feck all!
i had a 182, awesome little car, handled like it was on rails, had no problem taking ek9's or dc2's for that matter, so much torque, you just press the pedal and you're gone! i'll get another some day. i say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

x2 My Cup would have pissed all over a Stock Glanza in the straights and defo in the corners.

Cups weight like 1050kg's and with a few Mods can easily reach 200bhp not bad nearly 200bhp per ton

Gord R

Member +
I used to have a 172 Cup, handled superbly. Good power, cant really compare it to a starlet as mines quite developed. As Wes said good economy could get 40mpg if you tried.

ASHep82

Member +
Are they expensive to mod guys?really like the look of em but my starlets about 180bhp how would it compare to a Clio 172

matt walters

Member +

might have been then, but he wasnt leaving me for anything till about 80, fair enough mines not completly standard, but its not far off

ginchey

Member +
A mate of mine had one with cams,4branch manifold, full exhaust and induction kit , went extremely well but the gearbox would be a soft spot in them.... Could of been his driving tho?

AdDaMan

Member +
yer there pretty much exactly the same as 150bhp glanza and an ep3 type r to about 80. Had enough races with both. Even have a vid of the three of us side by side racing from back in the day lol
Wont be posting it though :)