Clutch Help? Exedy Paddle Too Big! Pics.

Mart

Member +
Hey Guys.
Clutch on my project car starting slipping so got an Exedy Paddle in good condition.
When we went to fit it, we found my standard clutch was a different size to the Paddle and wouldn't fit the gearbox???

Took an internal measurment of my standard one and its 200mm inner diameter but the Exedy is 215mm.

I have a Turbo Conversion Starlet and we used the engine off a GT Turbo?
Do you think its a problem with the Exedy Cluch being the wrong type or for some strange reason my gearbox?

I went into the local motorfactors and asked them for a new standard Starlet Turbo Clutch. He asked what mm? Said 200 and he gave us one straight over the counter!

So Im running a new standard one for now but can anyone explain why the Exedy wouldn't fit?

Here are some pics.

Photo1.jpg

Both Together.

Photo2.jpg

Here is the Exedy.

Photo3.jpg

Here is the Standard.

Photo4.jpg

Exedy Inner Size.

Photo5.jpg

Standard Inner Size.

Photo6.jpg

One over the Other to Show Size Difference.

Any Help Appreciated.
Thanks.

wildchild

Member +
maybe the flywheel is 4e. or else the paddle clutch is the wrong type.
yup 4efte clutch is 212mm. 5E is 200mm as well.

hekker

Fresh Recruit
the padle clutch is the rite size for na he just hasent got the turbo clutch

Last edited:

Mart

Member +
Thanks for the help guys.
I was told the gearbox came with the Gt Engine but apparently it hasn't with the photos above.
If this is true so I've been running a standard N/A clutch on and off for 2years on 180brake.

So the Paddle above is the right one at 215mm?
So do I need to get only a new 4efte flywheel to fit or will I need a whole new gearbox?

wildchild

Member +
maybe your turbo engine had come off an auto transmission and the prev owner would have fixed it to the existing manual 4e gearbox with the 4e flywheel.
The GT flywheel accomodates the 212mm clutch plate while the non turbo accomodates the 200mm clutch.
you dont need to change the whole gearbox. just get a GT flywheel.