code 14 not starting

mak-turbo

Member +
right well just put my fresh forged engine in wired every thing up and now got code 14 flash up and the car will not firer up did yesterday for 2 sec then die keeped on doing that and today just trying to start but not getting any were try new coil pack and ignition but still feck all and tryed new dizzy cap and still nothing so what is the list of bits that it could be :(

Texx

Super Moderator
Code 14 is no ignition feedback signal to the ECU. As the IGF signal comes from the ignition igniter I'd be looking there first. Check to make sure the harness connector is fully home, it would be worth you just unplugging it and plugging it back in to see if that makes a difference. If not, make sure the igniter is getting a good ground. It's grounded through the casing, so remove the mounting bolts and clean up the areas that make contact.

Also check to make sure the ECU connectors are fully home and not causing a poor connection.

mak-turbo

Member +
right well reground earth and checked leads and plugs seems all good checked spark plugs and are soaked it has brand new leads on it

so it could be

coil pack
igniter
dizzy cap
ecu
any thing eles people can think of ???

Texx

Super Moderator
Firstly the ECU needs to receive the Ne engine speed signal from the distributor before it sends the IGT signal to the igniter to fire the coil. When the igniter receives the IGT signal it switches on the negative of the coil. As battery voltage comes through the coil the igniter switches off the negative to the coil and converts the switching voltage from the coil negative into the IGF signal and sends it back to the ECU to tell it the coil has fired.

As you haven't got codes 12 or 13 then the ECU is most likely receiving the Ne signal from the distributor. Because you have code 14 - No IGF signal, I would think either the coil is not firing i.e. has a break in the secondary coil, the igniter has an internal fault or there is an open circuit in the wire harness somewhere either between the main ignition relay and ignition coil or igniter or between the igniter and ECU.

Can you get hold of a known good igniter to try as it's probably the easiest thing to try next as you've already changed the ignition coil.

Last edited:

mak-turbo

Member +
cheers mate real good help here matey well i tryed a new coil pack and ignitor but did not work as i did not bolt it back as i did not now it earthed there so that why it might not of worked and they were off my mates car so cant try them again so will need to get my hands on them any ways

and when you say open circuit what do you mean matey

Texx

Super Moderator
By open circuit I mean a break in a wire or connector disconnected. Basically a circuit that is open when it should be connected. :)

Texx

Super Moderator
Obviously first check that the connectors are fully home at the ECU, igniter and coil, but you've most likely already done that and try another igniter.

The next thing is to check the coil resistance:

Manual_0569_0001.jpg

Don't worry too much about the resistance reading you get as the above is for a MR2 Turbo, what you are looking for is a resistance reading that is similar as an OL, out of range or infinite resistance reading would indicate a break in the coil circuit being tested and mean the coil is of no use.

If the above has not identified the fault, then you need to check for continuity on the wire between the ECU IGF input pin and the igniter IGF output pin. This gets a little more tricky without a true circuit diagram. I would try the above first and if that does not identify your problem, we can look further into finding the IGF wire. I'm sure it's the grey/black wire and connects to the ECU in plug 1 possibly pin7, but not 100% without checking.

Mike D EP82

Member +
i had a problem similiar to this. i found 1 of the wires going to the plug to the ignition amplifier had pulled away from the terminal so had to bugger about with solder etc but got it going again no bother once it was resoldered

mak-turbo

Member +
well just spoke to nick and took him 10 minets to sort it out lol so get to pick her up tomorrow woop woop then to the tunners

mak-turbo

Member +
the injectors were to big so it flooded it so when i tryed to crank it did not happen and becouse i try 4 time and did not happen the ecu read a code 14 so he wiped the code off and cleanded the plugs and it started stright off lol

i good with building them but shit with running problems i just end up shout at the car hahahah and got to say nicks bein a big help with the motor on this one think some beer going his way tomorrow when i pick her up lol then stright to the paint and tunners :drive::rockon::drive: