Coilover Adjustment Help needed (pic included)

brownyboy

Fresh Recruit
Right, basically took these off yesterday and was just about to put them up for sale.
Replaced with standard shocks with lowering springs. Obviously handled alot better when on the coilovers and got me thinking that there must be away for them to be adjusted so they dont rebound so violently as this is the only reaso i took them off in the first place.

DGD.jpg

From the pic does anyone know what I should be adjusting to make it so the spring does not rebound so quickly, i basically want to soften it up if possible.

My plan was to bring A and B further down towards C, thus making the spring less compressed

Commensts please guys

Mark

bullet

Member +
was such a long time ago i set mine up, cant remember excatly how to do it, if you just lower a and b then the ride hight will probably be lower, so you will need to lower c aswell if that makes sense....

Mark-ep91

Member +
have you any pics from the top of the coilovers?
usually on the top u have an allen key shape which u turn one way to make then hard and the other for soft?

brownyboy

Fresh Recruit
I got the older style ones with the removable pins, I have tried both adjusting as far as i can both ways, makes a bit of difference but not enough! I am such an old man lol

bullet

Member +
that adjusts on the top but like you say doesnt make a lot of difference. d2's are hard anyway, you might not b able to get them as soft as you want no matter what you do. ive got them but my car is a track on car so i need it to be hard haha

Mark-ep91

Member +
well i have ksport coilovers think there the same as d2s different colour and on the softest setting i find them very comfy and the car is lowered bout 60mm all round!

did you adjust all 4 to soft and drive it for maybe a day or so so it settles in?

if you did u could try adjusting what u have marked a+b down more to c but it will raise ur car but should make it more comfy for you but will probly need to aligned and tracked afterwards!

brownyboy

Fresh Recruit
Dont think anything I do is going to make the ride as soft as i want it, either got to go for comfort or handling and seeing as I use it as an everyday carits going to have to be comfort!

Will be going up for sale later

MeisterR

Lifer
There shouldn't be a choice between "comfort" and "handling", as you often find that the best handling car are also the most comfortable.
Being excessively hard do not make the card handle well, it just make the car skip all over the road and lose traction.

Granted, sport suspension isn't going to give the ride of a Lexus, but at the same time it shouldn't be harsh for everyday usage.

For the D2, I would move the collar and make sure the springs are only finger tight within the perch.
Then play with the damping to see if it can get "soft" enough for your liking.

If the softest damping adjustment on a springs with no pre-load is still too hard, it mean the suspension isn't specified correctly and there isn't much you can do at that point.

So in your picture:
1. Move A until the springs is loose.
2. Move A until the springs are finger tight.
3. Move B and lock into A tight.

4. Turn the damper knob counter clock wise until it stop.
5. Turn the damper knob 1/2 turn clock wise at a time until you feel the suspension are "settle".

That is how i would adjust the suspension. And if you cannot find a setting you like, then it is time for a change.