Coilovers How Low Can You Sit Your Glanza?

Jaf_ep91

Member +
any pictures would be good to see what sort of ride height you can achieve with coilovers :) rep added :)

drew-turbo

Member +
IMG_5383Glanza911copy.jpg

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
the lowest i seen has to be kierans gt check his members garage on meisters same as bc coilovers

MeisterR

Lifer
How low do you want to go?

There are a few ways to make the Glanza go low, but the problem is that you have to give up damper stroke travel to accomplish that.
When we design the MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers for the Glanza, we made the rear as short as possible while retaining as much damper stroke travel as we can pack in the given space.

You can take out more travel to lower more, but in return you have to loose some performance which isn't really worth it.

But if you have a "specific" goal in mind, I am hapy to help if needed. :)

Best Regards,

Jerrick

question
why do you want the car to be very low? ----maybe a car show??

i ask because there are a lot of myths around about low cars handling better
a properly set up suspension does not mean it will be low....they are a lot of variables to consider with suspension setting

meisterR makes some good points

Fatman

Member +
As cool as slammed cars look, don't expect them to handle very well. The rear suspension doesn't much care what height it's at (assuming that you have an adjustable panhard rod and have re-centred the axle) but the front is a different story...

When you significantly lower a basic macpherson strut based car beyond a point (it's not very much lower than stock) you start to run into all sorts of negative effects. The biggest on a starlet is that the roll centre and roll couple are miles from where they should be. This means that as the car rolls the car will actually find it EASIER to roll further. This inevitably results in hitting the end of available suspension travel. Without suitable amounts of travel you're shock loading the tire on the bump stops and it's highly likely that you will lose control if cornering near the limit. As well as that, once your lower A arms get beyond horizontal to the ground, any further suspension compression will result in POSITIVE camber gain. That's all kinds of bad!

Although it as it may seem counter intuitive to 'performance car' people, higher = better when it comes to suspension performance with stock geometry.

There are ways to get around these issues, either via a quick fix (really stiff spring rates) or the 'correct' way which is actually resolving the underlying alignment problems. If somebody is interested I could do a write up that explains why lowered starlets handle like arseburgers and how to *really* fix it.

Paul_JJ

Member +
How low do you want to go?

There are a few ways to make the Glanza go low, but the problem is that you have to give up damper stroke travel to accomplish that.
When we design the MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers for the Glanza, we made the rear as short as possible while retaining as much damper stroke travel as we can pack in the given space.

You can take out more travel to lower more, but in return you have to loose some performance which isn't really worth it.

But if you have a "specific" goal in mind, I am hapy to help if needed. :)

Best Regards,

Jerrick

Jerrick - so what would be the ideal performance wise - lowering front/rear in MM? 30? 40? On the Glanza!