Coilovers vs lowering springs comfort and handling?

ste-glanza

Member +
Hi lads
Basicly i want to know from anyone who has had both coilovers and lowering springs on standard shocks what kind of differences in handling but mainly in comfort that you found?

I have tein coilovers in at the moment, there great because the car looks great so low but i would give up the lowness for a bit more comfort as there is no give in them and i find the drive very uncomfortable with them in so im thinking standard shocks with 60mm springs might be a good idea?

any help appreciated.
Cheers
Stephen

danturbo4311

Member +
I had RSR springs on standard shocks for a few years now running meister R's. The springs were comfortable for everyday driving and never rubbed the arches. But the handling is not even comparable. Also when I had the springs it never looked good enough, it always seemed like it needed to sit lower, especially at the rear.

Rob H

Member +
I have run tein HA on mine but they where too harsh and it had a tendency to skip but its now back on the standard SR suspension with new KYB gas shocks I like the ride height and it sticks to the road well too I spoke to the ohlins man over our way who I got my ohlins for my bike from (mick gardener racing) and we may go the custom way but as far I can see I wont be changing the ride height at all or the damping so why would I need coil overs? I have 2 sets of cusco top mounts I can fit to the standard shocks too so I am going that way with mine.

MeisterR

Lifer
Properly design coilovers shouldn't be harsh on the road.
If you can't drive on it everyday, it mean you aren't really enjoying the car.

Many time you hear people say coilovers are too harsh for the road is because they are using coilovers that were design for track use.
Those suspension have heavily valved damper as they aren't design to soak up bumps on uneven road surfaces that we drive on everyday.

It depends on what you are looking for from your car, but most customers who are using the Zeta-R would say that it is perfectly acceptable to be used daily and are not overly harsh on uneven bumpy road surfaces.

dac69er

Super Moderator
tein super streets are good coilovers for the road. meister r's are comparable comfort wise to the teins, but not quite as comfortable in my opinion.

tein s tech springs are very good for just lowering springs. they arent very low, but the ride is decent and the handling is improved.

i have previously had D2's and been in a car with BC coilovers and they are too hard.