compression help

pullensturbo

Fresh Recruit
hi can someone please tell me wot bar or psi should my ep 82 4efte be putting out on each piston, oh and its not sparking on cylinder no 2 n car wont start ive changed the leads, distributer cap, plugs:confused: its really annoying me now please help

350ep70gr

Member +
Should be at around 180psi for a new nick condition standard engine. But as low as 10 bar or a bit less shouldnt be able to give starting issues. Just low power output.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
hi can someone please tell me wot bar or psi should my ep 82 4efte be putting out on each piston, oh and its not sparking on cylinder no 2 n car wont start ive changed the leads, distributer cap, plugs:confused: its really annoying me now please help

If it dosent give spark only at one cylinder then it is something distirbutor related. Dont look far from distirbutor mate.Something is wrong there.

Chris

Sigma

Member +
Yeah, I think your gauge is out.

If the engine was in poor condition, then you could expect one or two cylinders to be considerably lower. But, in this case, with them all being around the same, I'd say the compression was a pass.

My next bet would be to check the resistivity and continuity of the plug leads, presuming that the plugs are okay.

munday

Member +
Are you doing the compression test with a warm engine and with the throttle held to the floor, crank it over until the gauge shows its highest reading. Should only take a few turns to get there, jumping up the most on the first couple of turns and increasing gradually over the rest.

Its quite possible to have a compression reading of roughly 100psi across all 4, doesn't mean the gauge is broken...could be underlying problems ;)

ChrisGT

Member +
My compression results were:

Cyl1: 12bar (174psi)
Cyl2: 11.8bar (171psi)
Cyl3: 11.8bar (171psi)
Cyl4: 12bar (174psi)