Compression test results

lew777

Member +
1. 160
2. 110
3. 165
4. 170

its not using excessive oil and runs fine but when its up to temp and running take the oil cap off it puffs air out. i dont know if this is normal or not?

help me please

thanks in advance

dark_knight

Member +
variances

@ lew777: i do know that there shouldn't be such (great) variances between the cylinders. the top-end crankcase will be pressurized slightly on idle so this is perfectly normal. what you need to do is to find out why cylinder #2 is ailing.. :)

AdamB

Member +
Whats your setup? If it's puffing a lot of air out the oil filler cap I would say you have excessive crankcrase pressure. So you likely to have failed rings/ringlands.

lew777

Member +
im thinking that to mate i took the hose of the pcv valve when it was on idle at running temp and it was puffing air out.

weeJohn

Lifer
Pour about 5ml (a teaspoon) of oil into the low cylinder and see if the reading goes up, if it does its probably the piston rings. If it doesnt go up it could be a valve, to check for that, remove the spark plug and turn the cams round until both valves are closed on that cylinder. Then blow air into the cylinder, you will need to try and seal off the plug hole so it doesnt just come back out that hole, listen for air passing out of the exhaust or inlet ports, if it does this then there is a valve problem.