Computer running slow?

sanchez

Member +
Right guys, had my MacBook Pro about a year now, has been the best thing i have ever bought lol but the las few days its started to run really slow.

Like only loading half pages, so im having to click refresh to load the full page.
Basically im having to click things twice to get it to load...

Its starting to piss me off lol and i dont really want to smash my £1000 laptop!

It seems to only be doing on the internet as far as i can, thats all i mainly use it for...

Ive searched google for some hints and tips etc, now have 'secure deleted' all my trash, well in the process of, its taking ages, but it has seemed to free up some space, so i guess that will help.

Also tried to run Onyx, which is a program that helps clear shite as far as i can see lol but that wouldnt launch so got rid of that.

Whats thre best thing i can do?
Is there any good free programs i can download?
Or anything i can buy in shops? Maybe its time to upgrade memory?

Cheers guys :D

gv1.3

Admin
dont know much about mac's to be honest but I would eliminate other potential issues before going at the computer. Is your internet connection working okay? If you use another computer on the same internet connection does everything load fine?

Once you are happy the internet connection is okay then do the usual on the mac, clear cache, temp internet files etc. If still not working download a new browser and install it http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome.html?hl=en&platform=mac maybe its an issue with the browser you are using.

Big no-no's in my experience are buying software to resolve a slow or poorly performing computer. Usually all those pieces of software do is make things worse. I dont see why you would need more memory, if the computer was previously working fine then it should be.

Tip for next time - buy something with two mouse buttons :p

sanchez

Member +
Thanks for the reply Dylan, tbh i dont know anything about computers really! lol

Yeah im pretty sure the internet is fine tbh mate, never had a problem before, and its even ok when im on xbox live.
No other computers in the house, but have lived here a good 8 months now, ok the landlord had shitty orange broadband fitted lol but its never been too much of a problem.

See im not clued up on computer lingo lol clear cache? wil google that now..
Not sure on the new browser as i quite like the way safari works tbh but if i have to i will give it a go.

Ah ok, maybe i need some sort anti virus, some sort of security, or a programme to clear up all the shite?

gv1.3

Admin
well you could install the new browser just to see if it works correctly... if it does then you know the problem is with safari, its a process of elimination.

Usually there is an option in the browser settings to clear the cache/remove internet files.

You DONT need any programs to fix it... they will just mess things up more. Unless of course you have a virus on there (wait for all the mac users to comment saying you cant get viri on a mac :) )

Worth reading some mac forums too, check out stuff like this - http://discussions.info.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11634923 Looks like plugins in safari can cause issues

sanchez

Member +
Thanks mate, will have a look through that in a minute.

Just had a quick look, the problem with mac i think is that there is so much i dont know know lol

Whats a good anti virus or similar that i could check?

Ps. i was told macs cant get virus's too lol

sanchez

Member +
Well have been searching the net frantically lol trying to find a solution.

now on the mac forums i found some dns numbers to add to my network preferences, now i have entered 4 and i think, i mean it looks to be quicker or it might be im tired lol

what exactly have i done by entering these numbers? lol

gv1.3

Admin
What you have done is unlikely to have made any difference unless there is an issue with your ISP... which I really think you should check as I already mentioned above. Maybe you can borrow another laptop off someone and see if the same thing is happening on their machine, you could be troubleshooting this issue on your laptop forever and it might not be a problem with your laptop.

DNS: These are domain name servers. Every server on the Internet has a unique address (kinda)... these addresses are difficult to remember so rather than using their address we give them a name. The server we run TGTT off is located at 174.121.236.111 and we have given it the name www.toyotagtturbo.com because people will remember that.

So when you try to access a resource on the Internet such as a website your request is sent to a domain name server. The domain name server is asked by your computer "what is the IP address of www.toyotagttubo.com?" and the domain name server sends back a response saying 174.121.236.111 and your computer then goes to that address.

Once the lookup is done it is cached on your computer for a while so you dont have to query dns all the time when going to the same sites.

Sometimes if your ISP's domain name servers are corrupt or slow you can get problems but not the type of problem you are experiencing. You would get a page cannot be found/does not exist error.

By changing DNS server addresses manually you are telling your computer not to use your ISP's DNS servers but instead to use the ones you have specified. Personally I would undo that because you dont know who owns those DNS servers or how reliable they are. DNS is often used to redirect people to dodgy sites etc so using DNS servers you have no history about is a bad idea.

An example of this would be - I set up a DNS server (simple to do). I design a webpage that looks just like paypal. I reply to posts on forums telling people that their problem is a DNS issue and to change to my DNS server address. I program my DNS server to reply to DNS requests for paypal.com and send the address of my fake paypal site rather than the real one. People visit paypal in their browser, they get redirected to my fake site and enter their user/pass. I now have their username and password for paypal and I redirect them to a page that says "paypal is currently down for maintenance please try again later". I can now do bold things with their paypal account or whatever info I have stolen. Always be careful of what you read on forums ;) people are not always giving you info to assist you.

sanchez

Member +
Ok mate, thanks for that, i changed it back now.

I signed up to a macintosh forum for more advice too.

Oh and i downloaded google chrome and another browser, google was worse than safari, the other was better than both but still not 100%

gv1.3

Admin
if the other browsers are not working either than the problem is not browser based.

I would be inclined to check your Internet connection. If your Internet connection comes in across a phone line try disconnecting all the phones in your house as one of them might be causing issues with your Internet connection.

If you are using the connection wirelessly try plussing a network cable from your laptop directly in to the router - it might be an issue with the wireless connection.

Process of elimination.

sanchez

Member +
Yeah seems it something to do with the browsers, although right now it seems to be running fine.... :S maybe the time?

No phones in the house so its not that, but am running it wirelessly, but then again have been for months now.

gv1.3

Admin
if the other browsers are not working either than the problem is not browser based.

Yeah seems it something to do with the browsers

If none of the browsers are working right it would suggest it IS NOT a problem with the browsers.

Wireless connections can work fine and then stop working. Someone near me started broadcasting on the same frequency as my WIFI and mine kept coming and going all the time. Pages would half load etc.

You need to eliminate the wireless... plug a network cable straight in to the router, good way of eliminating the wireless connection as the problem.

Also if its only happening at certain times of day maybe your wireless router is open and other people are using it? Or maybe the internet connection is becoming very congested, maybe a call to your ISP is in order.

Until I had fully made sure the Internet connection was not at fault I would not go messing at the laptop.

If you find out whats causing it let us know as this thread might help others in the future.

sanchez

Member +
Ok mate, thanks alot Dylan, have helped me alot dude! :)

The rourer has a password on it so i doubt its that.

It seems to be back up to about 90% now, alls good apart from pages with loads of pictures.

Will see what its lik ein the morning, peak time...