continued computer woes

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
ok, my desktop was stupidly full of crap and my torrent download speeds were pathetic, I was only getting about 6kb/s! (I used to get really good speeds, usually well over 100kb/s). So I had a good sort out, deleted loads of stuff and freed up some space. After that I was still getting slow download speeds so I updated utorrent to the newest build and all was good for about 30 minutes then the speed dropped right down again. I checked on my router that the ports were set up properly and they are. Now I can't get on the internet at all!

Anyone know what the hell is going on with my computer?

Is it worth installing utorrent on my laptop and downloading a copy of xp so I can start from scratch on my desktop?

SupaStu

Member +
If youre using XP, check your Automatic Updates option - if its on then I used to find that this would kill my computer and connection speed everytime I logged on (broadband of around 5MB)

Turn Automatic Updates off and just click the update link every so often to keep your computer up to date, you should find a good increase in connection speed.

SupaStu

Member +
I was unable to load any internet pages when my automatic updates were on, it got rediculous after a while, was 100% after turning off the fecking auto updates, worth a try...

SupaStu

Member +
.. i've had this problem on a valid copy of XP, it uses far to much resources just to check for updates, pain in the arse, same with Vista.

rb69

Member +
Stop downloading that utorrent shit and get something to proetect it, have you checked it for viruses and spyware?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
if anyone can suggest anything better than utorrent feel free. Its a legit copy of XP and i've checked for viruses etc.

Stu how do I turn off autoupdates?

Big_Daddy

Member +
if anyone can suggest anything better than utorrent feel free. Its a legit copy of XP and i've checked for viruses etc.

Stu how do I turn off autoupdates?

Can be found in the control panel, dont turn it off fully, just select notify, if you off it fully it will trigger a securty alert which is annoying.

ChrisGT

Member +
Go to Control Panel, then Automatic Updates..open it up and turn off automatic updates - not sure why'd you want to do that, but thats how.

UTorrent hogs resources so much, I hate it! Stupid Java programs! I completely stopped torrenting and now use Rapidshare (you have to pay, but much quicker and less hassle - direct downloads ftw :) !)

Did you alter any other settings when you checked your ports on the wireless setup page? Sometimes changing stuff will reset everything, so can you still see your network and connect to it?

Are you sure your internets not just down? Who are you with?

Bit of a vague problem mate, could be a load of possible causes :(

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I know my internet is working coz I'm posting this on my laptop! The only change I made on my router was forwarding the port for utorrent so can't understand why it won't connect now.

You reckon I'd be better off just wiping it and starting again?

Big_Daddy

Member +
not sure exactly how to get the memory on xp, but this way should work for both, Press Ctrl +Alt+ Delete and select performance, this should tell the total memory you have and how much the system has used.

ChrisGT

Member +
done a speed test, its about 4.8 meg. not sure how much ram i've got though, can't remember.

Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and go Properities. Let it load a sec and it should say bottom right under Computer: the specs, like this:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Coer Processor 4600+
2.41GHz, 3.50 GB of RAM

I doubt its actually anything to do with the amount of RAM you have, as that won't affect browsing unless its not allowing you to run IE/FireFox etc.

Oh and yeah, I got lots of RAM :p

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Ok nothing is working so I've decided that I'm gonna download XP on my laptop and start from scratch. Can someone tell me what to be looking out for when downloading programs and can someone be kind enough to give me an idiots guide to reinstalling XP coz I really don't know where/how to start!

Big_Daddy

Member +
Before you format you pc, recommned you download the drivers for the pc from the manufacture website, as xp does not supply all the drivers.
Any software you have, ensure you have the cd ready for them as they will be gone.
If you do download xp, ensure you down load the right type (eg profession or hom edition) that matches you key code.
Ensure the cd you download is a boot type so it will load up when the computer powers up.
Just follow setup steps and the rest is simple, hard part is reinstalling the seprate drivers and software which is time consuming.