coolant in cylinder 3??

97glanzat

Member +
well i have recenty had an amount of bad luck with my car,as the headgasket went i decided to upgrade it to a metal one...
as my old headgasket hadnt burst away any where i had the engine cheaked and the head re faced and preasure tested..
proceded to fit the new headgasket with new headbolts water pump thermostat ect ect...
the engine started and ran fine for 3 hours at which stage the was water in the oil and cylinder 3 again!!..
ive restriped the engine since to find the headgasket in one piece had the head re cheaked and all is fine...was talkin to the lads in the machine shop and the said the block wouldnt be cracked...they said it could be the water jacket in the turbo had it preasure tested and it was fine! they dont know what is wrong with it and im totaly lost at this stage!:-S
im runnin standard boost and only have minor mods...

if any1 can help it would be a great help....rep will b added!!

350ep70gr

Member +
well i have recenty had an amount of bad luck with my car,as the headgasket went i decided to upgrade it to a metal one...
as my old headgasket hadnt burst away any where i had the engine cheaked and the head re faced and preasure tested..
proceded to fit the new headgasket with new headbolts water pump thermostat ect ect...
the engine started and ran fine for 3 hours at which stage the was water in the oil and cylinder 3 again!!..
ive restriped the engine since to find the headgasket in one piece had the head re cheaked and all is fine...was talkin to the lads in the machine shop and the said the block wouldnt be cracked...they said it could be the water jacket in the turbo had it preasure tested and it was fine! they dont know what is wrong with it and im totaly lost at this stage!:-S
im runnin standard boost and only have minor mods...

if any1 can help it would be a great help....rep will b added!!

Most of the times when you upgrade to metal hg you need also to deck the block than only reface the head. Also maybe a tiny crack is pressent but visible when head is really hot above 80 degrees. Also very critical is how you torque down the new hg and also recheck the water pipes on the throtle body as it become a common mistake.For checking the water jacket in the turbo just block it and dont run water throuhg.
Do you have any boobles in the radiator when on operation?

Chris

southwalesgt

Member +
Had the same problem a month ago. After having the head removed, skimmed, tested and re-fitted with a new oem gasket set I found that there was still water getting into the cylinders.

I then removed it again and looked at these common mistakes when re-building:

1) There are two coolant pipes and two vacuum pipes on the inlet manifold. If these are incorrectly re-fitted (VERY EASY TO DO) then water is sucked into the engine, giving the appearance that the gasket isnt sealing properly between water jacket and piston cylinder. Swap round to the correct pipes.

2) The head bolts are bottoming out. By this I mean the head may have been skimmed before and now the bolts are too long for the correct torque settings to be applied effectively and arent making a good enough seal due to the head being mm's shorter now. Use an extra washer on head bolts.

3) The head bolts have been put in the wrong way round. 5 on inlet are different lengths to the five on the exhaust side of the head. Make sure these are correctly re-fitted and tightened to the correct torque settings.

Check all three of the above and see if it sorts the problem out.

If that doesnt work have a dye test done on the head to see if there are any hairline cracks between water jackets and cylinders.

Hope this helps

danturbo4311

Member +
if you put the inlet manifold gasket on the wrong way round or if its worn that would also cause you to get coolant in cylinder 3 as thats were the water jacket on the back of the head is located either that or it does sound like it could be the throttle body pipes on wrong as already said