coolant problem, any ideas??

danb87

South East England Area Rep
im having a few problems with the coolant, it seems when i put my foot down at times, too give it a little rag the cooolate bottle top seems too pop off an starts sprayin water everywhere.

ive heard diffrent things such as maybe headgasket, or air lock in rad system. but my mates done a sniffer test too check heasd gasket an seemed ok, an water seems too be in rad fine.

any ideas on what else it could be

im confused what it could be

thanks

dan

im having a few problems with the coolant, it seems when i put my foot down at times, too give it a little rag the cooolate bottle top seems too pop off an starts sprayin water everywhere.

ive heard diffrent things such as maybe headgasket, or air lock in rad system. but my mates done a sniffer test too check heasd gasket an seemed ok, an water seems too be in rad fine.

any ideas on what else it could be

im confused what it could be

thanks

dan

there should be a pipe allowing coolant out if its too full maby its blocked?

danb87

I'd try another radiator cap before anything else.

i just bought the one off dave@tmdeveloments, bout 2 months ago. any ideas on other place too try an get a cap?

david-- yea there is the pipe, its not blocked as it was squirtin out that at one point, but ive put a bottle at end too stop it going all over place.

:confused:

Texx

Super Moderator
If you've already changed the rad cap, then that confirms the cooling system is building excessive pressure. Where does the temperature gauge read when this problem occurs?

danb87

If you've already changed the rad cap, then that confirms the cooling system is building excessive pressure. Where does the temperature gauge read when this problem occurs?

temp gauge is staying as normal, i know its working for sure as the other day, my bottom rad hose came off an leaked all water an the temp gauge rocketd up.

yea changed the cam as my original one was leaking. yea its deffinitly building up pressure.

ktl

Member +
mine did this buddy. go for a good blast with lots of boost, then do the sniffer test again, mine only showed up after a good raz!

danb87

In 90% of the cases I have seen it is a warped block, only slight, but enough so water gets pushed out under high boost

this sounds serious mate, whats the cure too solve this? new head ?

any ideas price etc mate?

ktl, yea mate i did give it too much as was slightly worrid but did go for a good drive before doing this but still nuffin through sniffer test matey

danb87

take rad cap off, and see if any bubbles come popping up.

that after a good blast?, as after a good rag it seems too lose the water via the overflow bottle when the cap on that pops off.

ktl

Member +
nah like cold start up do it.

yeah mine did the same mate, HG failed.

your looking at £200 for parts + labour

danb87

nah like cold start up do it.

yeah mine did the same mate, HG failed.

your looking at £200 for parts + labour

it only tnds too do it when hot after rag.

what parts are needed matey? as i can get my mate too do work for cheap.

if u dont live too far away you should pop down an tke a look. i find it hard too explain lol

ktl

Member +
headgasket kit from toyota, head skimmed, but i would get the block done at the same time cause the blocks do warp easily on starlets.

headbolts,

so around 200quid matey.

Theres not much more you can do, the only thing is give it a proper blast, then do the test on the expansion tank, or the rad cap. take the cap off str8 after u drove it, get a rag when undoing it HOTHOT!!

this was only way telling mine for sure.

akis

Fresh Recruit
unfortunately most chances are for H/G failure..
It is not neccecary for the car to overheat, maybe you were experienced head lift which drive to H/G failure

toyotagt

Member +
wit my other gt i had the same prob.. turned out it was a really worped lookin HG and a cracked block.. so i got a new head, HG and both sides skimmed... and full service nd belts while was there.. now it fine..

Shorty

Member +
when my hg went i had a sniffer and it showed fook all then i had more issues so changed hg to cruise one and had head skimmed and block checked and all was fine :D