copper headgaskets

ruggiero06

Member +
block and head are skimmed.

whats ur reason for copper being crap. any research, experience, or just an opinion.

from my research this is the only kind of info i can find about copper headgaskets

Development of these head gaskets allow users to exploit the benefits of of copper, wide range of thicknesses, superior strength, superior combustion sealing, conformability to deck surfaces and superior heat conductivity, with none of the prior disadvantages of 'old fashioned' copper head gaskets.

Solid Copper Head Gaskets

Can be used as a "stand-alone" road or race gasket for high boost & nitrous applications where standard gaskets have failed. Copper is unlikely to "blow-out" and as a near perfect heat conductor will take heat away from the combustion area. There is a choice of sealing mechanisms that can be employed, more info below.

For older vehicles & motorbikes where original gaskets are unavailable, or when engine modifications make the original gasket unsuitable.

Solid copper head gaskets can sometimes be re-used.

A "copper" head gasket is used on engines primarily to seal extremely high cylinder pressures. Traditional composite style gaskets and multi-layered steel gaskets cannot withstand the tremendous combustion gas pressures generated by today's high output motors. The typical transition point is around 2 HP per cubic inch of displacement. Most Nitrous ad-ons, alcohol fuel and other alternate fuel engines will typically push high output engines into this HP range requiring a copper head gasket and wire o-ring sealing solution

just wondering if people have any real experience with these kind of hg.

ruggiero06

Member +
Search this forum and you'll see the bad experiences had rather than the company blurb...

yea thats what i mean...i can only find info on company websites...im searching google. i assumed i could find alot of info but theres actually not that much....

ill search these boards though

tgidavid

Member +
You will need to o-ring your block or machine both block and head to mirror finish for the copper headgasket to work properly, especially on imports. If you search around, a lot of the people who had bad experiences treated the headgasket like stock.

I'm surprised you didn't find more info from the net or from your dad.

tgidavid

Member +
Just to add, from what I remember the problem is that there are 3 different metal elements that expands at different temperatures. Polishing the mating surfaces or o-ring the block crimps the copper headgasket from deforming so much that you end up with blow by between the cylinders.

350ep70gr

Member +
Copper gaskets generally are good gaskets and can mask problems like ignore skiming and slight bend situations of head or bottom. If you know how to act with copper to take avantage of the material propertys and how to transform a copper foil to be a gasket (heat/cooling special treatment) then i guess it is ok.
In other words i would use a copper gasket to my own engine with no hard feelings.

Chris

starlet666

Member +
most copper gaskets have to b made sure of the torque settings every 20 000kms.... and need to b o ringes as somebody stated... had one in my s15.... worst thing i ever did to it.... yer it made huge power from the 2 litre (500hpatw with a t04z turbo) but it was just stupid cause the bolts had to b checked all the time and it was the blame when the manifold is warped..... stick with a MLS (multi layer steel) and do it right... i use a speedvision MLS gasket and its great.....

Impreza_dan

Member +
block and head are skimmed.

whats ur reason for copper being crap. any research, experience, or just an opinion.

from my research this is the only kind of info i can find about copper headgaskets

just wondering if people have any real experience with these kind of hg.

Cant agree more with this...
Good find