cracked ross forged pistons

350ep70gr

Member +
It depends the crack but you can transform the crack to a thermal cut.
Post a photo of them.

Was the clearense ok? any other signs on the skirts? Do you had any noise when cold?

Chris

starletjosh

Member +
i'll try and get a pic up tonight. its cracked on the skirt and when you look at the bottom it almost looks like its been machined wrong because it looks thinner in the part where its cracked. there was no noise apart form the bottom end the shells were gone.

350ep70gr

Member +
Was any other machine work done on them exept the factory? Cause the skirts of them are really thick.
Have you mesure the clearence between them and the bore? Was more than suggested by ross?
Do you rag them when cold often?
If it is small crack i can guide you how to cut them so can be reusable maybe.
I need to see the photos first tho..and you need to mesure the clearences.
If it was one..could be something wrong with the manufacter but two means something is wrong from your side i think.
How many miles from the installation of them?

Chris

starletjosh

Member +
they came out of a mates car and i was going to put them in mine. maybe not now though.lol. he said there was no noises apart from the bottom end when it got hot. im not going to be able to know about the clearences. so looks like im going to get nowhere. hmmm any body selling forged pistons cheap? :haha:

Attachments

• Picture0005.jpg
    Picture0005.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture0006.jpg
    Picture0006.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 20

Rory

Lifer
Looks like with the bearing gone in the bottom end, it has let the piston slap about a bit more than normal.

New piston's time.

starletjosh

Member +
this to me looks alot thinner and its only like it on the 2 that are carcked. there was no marking to the bore or anything like that thats what im finding strange.

Attachments

• Picture0007.jpg
    Picture0007.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 14
this to me looks alot thinner and its only like it on the 2 that are carcked. there was no marking to the bore or anything like that thats what im finding strange.

i see wat your sayin that doesnt look right at all
it look a couple of mill bigger on the left side

350ep70gr

Member +
If you havent buy them yet just buy new one. If you want to use them you can drill and cut them as the crack isnt major.
Possibly happend due to the cells fail as rory said and gave some stress to the piston.
I cant recall if other sets have this misaligment in the skirt thickness aswell.:confused: (maybe for balance reasons).
Is it a lightweighted and polished rod there..?Was tha proccess done by a pro cause that can have an effect on balance aswell.

P.s. If you need any details as to how to cut them pm me and i will try to help further.;)

Chris

starletjosh

Member +
its a pauter rod and it was fitted origanlly by a tuning company whe he had the engine forged and turbo kit fitted. i just found it strange that the 2 that are cracked look like this but the others are the same thickness all the way round? ive put up a wanted thread for new or used forged pistons. bad times:(

starletjosh

Member +
350ep70gr i would rep ya but its saying i need to spred the love or something. any body know of any pistons for sale?

350ep70gr

Member +
350ep70gr i would rep ya but its saying i need to spred the love or something. any body know of any pistons for sale?

No prob mate ..i have already enough of that..more than i deserve..:p
If you get stuck pm me again and i will sent you some photos aswell.
But since the set is different each other i would have speak directly with the ross and demand a new set and a discount for the hassle .

Chris

starletjosh

Member +
ive e mailed ross with the pics and basically said what are they going to do about it. and that im not too happy with it. i would understand if the piston had been slapping but the bores are fine. just confused:S

350ep70gr

Member +
ive e mailed ross with the pics and basically said what are they going to do about it. and that im not too happy with it. i would understand if the piston had been slapping but the bores are fine. just confused:S

Sorry dont get it..
What was Ross reply exactly? They accept the fault or not?

Chris

dantheman

Member +
ive seen this before on another 4e engine i stripped down and they went in the same place (ross pistons) maybe just coincidence that they were ross aswell, but the main reason was the block had been bored to the largest tolerance, for big boost or nos, and they were slappin around like a good'n.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Sorry dont get it..
What was Ross reply exactly? They accept the fault or not?

Chris

in all honesty i dont think they should accept any fault, to me it looks like the piston shrunk, causing the inword crack, ie too much/or too little fuelling in the map (top end) causing the shrinking. iv seen it once before on another car & the diagnosis by the engineer was as iv mentioned above..

it could be incorrect clearances, but the ringlands would be the 1st to fail imo.

kon