crank pulley locator - is it remove/replacable?

goldenvtr

Member +
yet another issue ive run into, im now running 28psi on a td05h 16g and the jump form 22psi has had an effect on my crank pulley for some reason.... basically the crank pulley has come of twice now no matter how much i torqued it down, the crank pulley is now damaged so im going lightweight insted, but also the locator pin/slider on the crank has warn where it has been coming loose, now it does look like i can be removed as it pivots in the slot it sits in.

for those that has seen a crank ( bear in mind in 5e but im 99% sure its the same as im using 4e crank pulley) has anyone ever had to replace this? or am i going to have to bodge this as i havnt got time to take the engine out for a new crank!

help appreciated :) - a diagram of the bottom end would be ideal

ive got some thread lock to add for the next assembly too

ryan-11

Member +
Yeah its removable/replaceable, i had to put a new one on mine as the machine shop that done my machine work removed mine but never put it back in when i got the crank back, lucky i had a spare crank, i just removed it from that and put it in my new crank, the same happened to my mate, he got a new one from toyota, that was for a corolla so im not sure if u can get them for a starlet.

rwdrev

Member +
the woodruff key is replaceable, just flick it out and get another one in. make sure the threads are clean of oil/grease before you put lock tight on, or it wont get hold of anything.

normally its the other way round, both of my engine had to have plenty of wd40 and two tyre levers in to get them off.

goldenvtr

Member +
ok cool, well i tried to remove the one from my old 4e crank, vice grips wouldn't work, just kept slipping off, and a screwdriver and hammer didnt work either, any tips?

you have no idea how re leaved i am to find out its replicable lol :D

ill havea crack at removing the one from the car tomorrow night,

woodruf key - thats the word i was looking for, cheers guys!

rwdrev

Member +
what ever you do, DONT use the chewed up one, or the pulley wont fit over it. plenty of wd and tap with a chisel if its stuck, possibly a touch of heat, but not too much to wreck the crank seal.

weeJohn

Lifer
If its just worn on 1 edge, it may be ok to just remove it, turn it over 180 degrees and fit the worn bit into the crank. It has more sharp edges to grip on there and providing its tight it wont be a problem. It really depends on the amount of wear but if it will work or not.

you can get them in different sizes like adamb says but thats mainly for oldschool tuning where you could get them where the top edge would be thicker on the one side than the other. so although it would lock the pulley into place it would offset it 1 or 2 degree what ever you needed. i've not come across this for years.

with it coming undone have you used a good quality locktight? you can get some industrial locktight that is permanently and i meant that. you have to heat to 700 degree's before it'll loose. so from weak to that stuff there is definitely a product that will do the job and keep your pulley firmly in place :)

Tim :)