crank seal gearbox side

Hi all,

after resealing the sump today i noticed that there was oil dripping from behind the cover for the gearbox, as i am having the clutch done next week i would like to change the crank seal before i tear my hair out and do the sump gasket again.

am not paying 50 quid for a seal so does anyone know if the 4efe seal would be the same as the 4efte seal? if so i can get one for under £5?

cheers,

dac69er

Super Moderator
i am 99% sure it is the same. the outside diameter definitely is, im not 100% on the inside diameter though. sorry

haha ok lol well i think it might be worth the chance, i cannot believe the price for a bloody seal, i work in engineering and i know they cost pence.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I did get a price for one from a seal and bearing supplier we use as work a few years back. Still came out at £30ish as it wasn't a very common size and I wanted it in viton as I would hope it would last longer with the heat of the engine.

5e colin

Member +
4efe oil seal is identical

when u take off the flywheel check if its not leaking on the alu. housing if not just drill 2 smal holes in the seal so u can screw a screw in there and pull the seal out and slide the new 1 on that will be the only way without removing the sump again !!

DONT shuv a flat head screw driver between seal and housing !!!! if u scratsh the housing it will leak

dac69er

Super Moderator
4efe oil seal is identical

when u take off the flywheel check if its not leaking on the alu. housing if not just drill 2 smal holes in the seal so u can screw a screw in there and pull the seal out and slide the new 1 on that will be the only way without removing the sump again !!

DONT shuv a flat head screw driver between seal and housing !!!! if u scratsh the housing it will leak

good advice, you can also scratch the crank too if your not careful, then oil will pass the seal that way. you need to be a bit more of an animal to damage that though ;)

check there isnt a carbon build up on the crack where the seal sits, this can cause a new seal to start leaking quite quickly if its not removed, a brillopad should do the trick.
also check for wear in the crank where the seal sits, it isnt overly common, but that can cause a leak with a new seal.

thanks for the comfirmation.

yeah good advice, hopefully someone with the same problem with come across this thead and save themselves a couple of quid.

just wondering, i have got 2 viton seals coming from work but the oe spec is 8.5mm width but these will be 10mm width, will this cause a problem or will i get away with it ?
currently got a supplier attempting to get 8.5 but its doubtful.

dac69er

Super Moderator
just wondering, i have got 2 viton seals coming from work but the oe spec is 8.5mm width but these will be 10mm width, will this cause a problem or will i get away with it ?
currently got a supplier attempting to get 8.5 but its doubtful.

That's the issue I had as it's an odd size.

Just try it. As long as the crank end face sits proud enough for it to seal properly and not rub the flywheel or anything, it should be fine

5e colin

Member +
:) i rebuild my engines with 4efe stuff its way cheaper in the motorfacters toyo charges a bomb for those parts !!!! exept the headgasket that should always be a toyo 1 they are way way stronger