Crankshaft and acl bearing size question.... help please..

turbostar

Member +
Hello people i was just woundering how i can tell weather my crank shaft has been reground befor or not?

Because i bought standard size new ACL bearings off of a member on hear a while ago befor i even striped my engine, but now it is all striped how do i make sure the crank and the bearings are the right size for when i put it back togeather?

just in case the crank has ever been reground in the past at sum point?

Thanksa Dan.

GP82

Member +
Hey if the mains bearings you have taken out are the Toyota one's, they will be marked on the side with a number ("1", "2", "3", "4", "5"). This is the the bearing size you need to replace with. If you cannot get the number which represents the size, you can add size marks on cylinder block and crankshaft together to determine size mark of main bearing to be used. For example block is "2" and size mark on crankshaft is "1", use main bearing with size mark "3" This is from the engine manual.

To confirm the cranks not been reground, you can also get a micrometer on the bearing you have taken out and take measurements and compare with the replacement bearings. Don't forget to check your oil cleareances with a plastiguage or meter!

turbostar

Member +
Hey if the mains bearings you have taken out are the Toyota one's, they will be marked on the side with a number ("1", "2", "3", "4", "5"). This is the the bearing size you need to replace with. If you cannot get the number which represents the size, you can add size marks on cylinder block and crankshaft together to determine size mark of main bearing to be used. For example block is "2" and size mark on crankshaft is "1", use main bearing with size mark "3" This is from the engine manual.

To confirm the cranks not been reground, you can also get a micrometer on the bearing you have taken out and take measurements and compare with the replacement bearings. Don't forget to check your oil cleareances with a plastiguage or meter!

Cheers m8t thats very helpfull, i understand all that (ithink lol) except the last bit about checking oil clearances with a plastiguage or meter??? How is this done? Can you explain a little more?
Regards dan

Reped :)