crankshaft pully..

daveEP

Member +
Hi am lookin for advice on gettin my crankshaft pully off as am stripping the head to get port & polished. av looked for a holding tool but cant fing toyota one or universal one. is there a way round it like usin a buzz gun? any help would be grait.!!!! :)

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
an air gun is what i usually use but not if you dont have a compressor. if you could get a battery impact gun might open it for ya. i got caught with it before and and had to put a spanner on one of the cams its not the right way but i was stuck

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
use an impact gun or wrench.. otherwise its not going to be easy.

kon

mork

Member +
Why would you take the crankshaft pulley off to do cylinder head work? Perhaps you meant 'camshaft'? If so, just use a spanner on one of the square cast lugs on the cam (this is what they're for, as per the service manual) to hold it still and then undo the centre bolt of the pulley. Don't forget to put the service screw into the inlet cam pulley first before removal!!

lukep

Member +
^^ because he will need to take the cam belt off to take the head off.

As said impact gun is the easiest way of getting the bolt out and the you can buy a cheap crank pulley puller off eBay for £8 so you don't chip the pully up.

http://bit.ly/KGcYKf

I have one of these and it works great, don't be put off with the bolts not screwing in the holes in the pulley as there usually full of excess rubber, just force it in it will be right!

daveEP

Member +
Cheers guys should be able to fling all they ideas in n get it done. yeh a need the pully off to get the lower cover off to get the belt off. What head gasket do u think i should use? Steel- 1.2-1.4mm or 1.9mm?

AdamB

Member +
Use an impact gun and maybe a puller if it doesn't come off easily enough.
Depends on your spec as to what headgasket to go for.

Skalabala

Member +
You do not need to touch the crank pulley to take the head of.
Do you want to replace the belt?
If you have a standard set up then go for the 1.2mm

mork

Member +
You do not need to touch the crank pulley to take the head of.
Do you want to replace the belt?
If you have a standard set up then go for the 1.2mm

Quite right, so long as you mark the belt up to the cam sprocket before loosening the tensioner and make sure it's timed properly afterwards then there's no need to remove the crank pulley.

Skalabala

Member +
You also do not need to loosen the tensioner.
I have done it a few times with not loosening the crank pulley or the tensioner.