crankshaft timing mark

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
am trying to work out what to align my EP82 starlet 4E-FTE crankshaft to anyone got a photo of the timing mark that the crankshaft lines up with?

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
thanks very much I need the actual marks on the crankshaft and the engine block, ie I have taken off the crankshaft pulley & need to align the crankshaft with some kind of mark on the block it says toyota & seems to vaguely line up with that word, but am not sure.

Mike D EP82

Member +
you need to have the pulley and the oil pump on before you can do it. theres a little nick in the crank pulley that lines up with a mark on the oil pump

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
I have taken a photo of the aligment marks any idea how to attach it or insert it into this reply

Texx

Super Moderator
timing.jpg

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
crankshaft marks

have uploaded pic to photobucker, shows the E stamped on crank gearwheel, there is no other mark no little cut out as on diagram above. The E aligns with word toyota, is toyota the timing mark?

crank005.jpg

no its hear like this see the raised bit on the engine/oilpump and theres a little notch on the pully :)

Last edited:

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
tried to open pic but get this error message "you do not have permission to access this page" any idea how I can see the pic

many thanks looks as if by good luck, the E stamped on my crankshaft which is pointing at the word toyota is on the same alignment as the indent in the pics you supplied, but I cannot find any indents/marks on the crankshaft gear.

there is def marks on all bottom pullys are u sure ur timming is correct i.e not a half turn out ?

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
there is def marks on all bottom pullys are u sure ur timming is correct i.e not a half turn out ?

when I look at this pic of my CS I think I have convinced myself that the blue arrow points at an indent is this where it is meant to be, also is the red arrow pointing at the cast triangle mark?

CS.jpg

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
I agree if the mark on the cog is between the teeth its out, if the mark is ontop of the tooth its lined up, makes you wonder if they can stamp a great big capital E where it cant be missed why make the timing mark difficult to see?

dwdwdw

Fresh Recruit
timing mark

just taken it all apart again the mark is on the outer rim of the sprocket, so almost impossible to see from the front, when you look down at it from under the bonnet the mark is like a small file cut so small its barley visible about one mm deep. Ive marked it with red arrow. Blue arrow is where dimple/indent is meant to be but theres nothing there on my sprocket. Hope all this helps the next cambelt changer!

1mdeepgroove.jpg