ct9 boostin @ 4500

alanep70

Member +
Have a ct9 with 2.5" ic piping and a 2.5" downpipe cut short would like to know if boost at 4500 is normal for this setup i have.

Fatman

Member +
Boost leak is likely cause, I would suggest going over your intercooler piping with some soapy water and look for any bubbling. Sometimes leaks can be quite small - almost imperceptible, but a few of those can actually have a big impact.

1998glanzav

Member +
Boost leak is likely cause, I would suggest going over your intercooler piping with some soapy water and look for any bubbling. Sometimes leaks can be quite small - almost imperceptible, but a few of those can actually have a big impact.

X2 ^^Sounds like boost leak to me. Check all your jubilee clips/tbolts are tightend up and then check for bubbling on the piping by the suggested method above ^^

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Are you actually loosing boost? Does your boost gauge stay consistent, do you have one etc?

Lag can also be contributed to manifold leaks (manifold and gaskets). Exhaust gases spin the turbine blades hot side so if the gases are slowed at any point from a leak you will get lag, same goes for bent fins compressor and turbine side. Also same with leaks in the downpipe and exhaust as it slows the rate in which the gases are expelled again causing lag.

As the lads said also could be a boost leak unless boost is consistent, also restrictions in inlet track slowing the rate in which the turbo can "pull" the air through.

What management are you running? Ignition retardation will also cause lag, same goes if stock ECU puts you in limp home mode, any diagnostic faults or engine lights being illuminated?

T

Gilly2006

Member +
i personally think your intercooler piping is too big for the CT9. have you just fitted your intercooler and you have this problem or have you suddenly realised this drop in boost pressure?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

i personally think your intercooler piping is too big for the CT9. have you just fitted your intercooler and you have this problem or have you suddenly realised this drop in boost pressure?

Yeah good point well said, have you done anything that has contributed to this or has it just happened?

Rep added

T

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Just noticed you said you had 2.5 inch piping thught you were talking about exhaust, is that 2.5 inch hot side and cold side? If so way too big you will be getting a huge pressure drop.

T

Gilly2006

Member +
when you upgrade from a top mount to a front mounted intercooler you will notice some drop in pressure because of the length the air has to travel. for a CT9 i would say 2 inch intercooler pipework is more than enough. the intercooler kits you buy off SPS are smaller than 2inch and they have 13-15bhp difference (with graph to prove) between the stock top mount. im sure that if you have downgrade your pipework size it will solve your problem and if not help your problem. :)

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Yeah let us know how big your piping is hot and cold side and if it's just happened or if it was fine before you put IC on.

We need to know this really, most kits are around 1.5inch going to 2inch hot side and 2 inch cold site to throttle body.

T