ct9/ct12 hybrid

j4cko

Member +
Ive got a ct9/ct12 hybrid turbo. i was reading the other day that these hybrids usually consist of ct12 exhaust housing and ct9 compressor housing mated together. i had a look at mine earlier and it has ct12 writted on the comp housing??!! which wouldnt appear to be right? does anybody know how a ct9/ct12 hybrid should be made?

j4cko

Member +
thats alrite then, was worried for a minute haha- ye seems to be good, it was a kitaro jobby, but i actually received mine luckily... its only running about 10psi at the min, just awaiting an fmic and will be set up to around 16psi on high boost

Guye

Lifer
thats alrite then, was worried for a minute haha- ye seems to be good, it was a kitaro jobby, but i actually received mine luckily... its only running about 10psi at the min, just awaiting an fmic and will be set up to around 16psi on high boost
Hi. I was under the impression that kitaro only did ct9/ct20 and another ct9/garrett hybrid. I never knew he sold a ct9/ct12 as well. Interesting. Any pics?

j4cko

Member +
well u mention that..... i thought my hybrid was a ct9/ct20, but i had a look yesterday and im pretty sure it says ct12 on it, i'll have a closer look when i get a chance. i have a pm from him which says about it, but it was on the old site so i cant check it

j4cko

Member +
ive just got the pm from the old site

CT9 + CT20 (S-Core)
-- This turbo is a hybrid with CT20 compressor wheel & wastegate ported to precision.
-- All our turbos are built with new oil seals & bearings.

im sure mine says ct12 tho, further investigation is needed!!

j4cko

Member +
ive just checked and it definately says ct12 on the comp housing, yet another person ripped off by kitaro then........

and this is what i read before about ct12 hybrids
"Create a hybrid by using the CT9 compressor housing and the CT12 exhaust housing. The CT9 has a larger compressor housing that the CT12 and the CT12 has a larger exhaust housing than the CT9. Combine the two and you will get excellent results"

Last edited:

Adam_Glanza

Member +
see i would of thought its the other way round?

ct9 exhaust and ct12 compressor?

if thats the case it should be an increase!

j4cko

Member +
yer thats what i thought, it was a direct replacement so i would guess that it is the ct9 exhaust housing and it definately says ct12 on the comp housing. but isnt a ct20 hybrid as advertised...... unless it has ct20 bits in it? who knows!!

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah ideally you want the larger compressor and a smaller turbine, this means it doesnt take a lot of exhaust gases to spin the turbine wheel yet the compressor can still take in more air, all you need to do is be able to supply enough cold air and ensure that it is cooled well as the larger volume of compressed air will need more cooling..

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Should be okay, I'm wary of some of these supposed "Hybrids" but you won't really know until you try, a dyno run will show a lot as well :)

T

j4cko

Member +
yea. well it is fitted atm but only on low boost as im awaiting an fmic and then i will get it all set up on the rollers, i'll post my printout up wen its done

j4cko

Member +
im fairly sure the gspec retains the ct9 comp housing?? at least it does in the pictures kitaro sent me

TurboDave

Member +
Yeah, they put a stupidly large compressor wheel in the standard housing which totally ruins the design of the standard CT9 unit.

A huge compressor wheel and a tiny exhaust turbine wheel is not a good match.

Red Hot

Member +
im fairly sure the gspec retains the ct9 comp housing?? at least it does in the pictures kitaro sent me

No, the G spec has a ct12 comp housing. I bought 2 of them. I also has a custom inlet trumpet, so maybe you have something in between of the s and the g spec.
These turbo's were custom made by tongs turbo's. The 2 I bought also had some minor differences.