CT9 - Is it "broken?"

clys

Member +
Odd issue here fella's.
I went to adjust my intercooler piping, and noticed the pipe secured directly to the turbo, as I pulled it, was twisting the actual compressor housing on the turbo, independently from the center section! The car has been using some oil as of late, especially on boost, and decel. I always led this to be compression issues, as I thought my turbo was mint, but apparently not! This could be a reason why it won't hold boost amongst other things.

I've currently got a video uploading on youtube, so in a few, I'll have that up. But if you've got any ideas, let them flow.

Thanks guys!.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
I'd say the locating pin on the compressor housing was removed to fit the intercooler for some reason,maybe something got in the way.

But obviously the clamp between the compressor housing and the wastegate wasnt put back on,im sure someone has a blown ct9 lying around (...Jay) that could give you the part.

Dan

clys

Member +
I'd say the locating pin on the compressor housing was removed to fit the intercooler for some reason,maybe something got in the way.

But obviously the clamp between the compressor housing and the wastegate wasnt put back on,im sure someone has a blown ct9 lying around (...Jay) that could give you the part.

Dan

Nothing was removed to fit my intercooler piping. The car was bone stock when I bought it. I have done nothing to alter the turbo whatsoever, which is why I find my issue odd. I'll be happy though if this is what's causing my oil consumption and poor boost holding, though.

gt-stu

Member +
alot of them move around,the housing for the compressor side is only held with a big circlip,they tend to move around

dac69er

Super Moderator
it wouldnt cause oil consumption. poor boosting would be an issue though. maybe the compressor housing has been removed for some reason and the locating pin broke/was removed, also may not have the Oring in place so you would have boost leaking from the turbo itself

clys

Member +
it wouldnt cause oil consumption. poor boosting would be an issue though. maybe the compressor housing has been removed for some reason and the locating pin broke/was removed, also may not have the Oring in place so you would have boost leaking from the turbo itself

I was assuming that because it's rotating the way it is, it could possibly affect the oil seals. I was hoping this to be the cause anyways...

This turbo has never been apart or anything. Was only removed to fit my manifold.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it could have been apart at some other point in its life, its an old car at the end of the day.

the housing wont affect the oil seals. it would bugger your compressor wheel up before the seals were affected. plus you would see oil in the intercooler pipes if the oil seal had gone on that side

clys

Member +
it could have been apart at some other point in its life, its an old car at the end of the day.

the housing wont affect the oil seals. it would bugger your compressor wheel up before the seals were affected. plus you would see oil in the intercooler pipes if the oil seal had gone on that side

Yeah my IC pipes are dry as a bone. The exhaust side seal could be shot though too, possibly?

It smokes on the throttle hard - a slight puff, and on decel.

gt-stu

Member +
nah nah,the actual "cover" if you like of the compressor,it will easily spin by itself,there are no seals etc that would be involved in oil consumption etc,if you have ever taken a turbo apart its easier to understand.

you should pm keirz,he builds turbos so im sure he would be able to point you in the right direction