ct9a, ct9b & ct9 hybrid differences

dark_knight

Member +
can anyone shed some light on the differences between the 3 units. have read around a little but not much intel coming forth. i already know that the ct9b was for the heavier-assed glanza so it has 9 blades/fins on the exhaust turbine instead of the 8 found on a ct9a. how about the hybrid..? any other differences..
pics would be great too for anyone who may have.. :p

dark_knight

Member +
puff

while on this topic, what makes the ct9a/b run out of huff & puff at higher revs.. compared to other (large) snails that is..? CFM..?

Rev

Member +
I think this quote maybe it -

' Compressor Max Pressure
On the compressor map, find the top-most point on the graph. The vertical coordinate is the max pressure ratio. For example, 2.8 pressure ratio at sea level is 1.8 times the atmospheric pressure, 1.8x14.7psi=26.46 psi.
Compressor max pressure is limited by compressor wheel speed. It's physically impossible to boost higher than this max pressure for one particular turbo. Plus the pressure drop in the intercooler system, the actual max boost reading from a boost gauge that's plugged into the intake manifolds maybe a few psi lower than this max pressure. '

What I like is this quote is it says what I often thought ie. The pressure the turbo sees is more than the boost gauge shows .... so running out of puff may be higher than you think.

The question of compressor wheel limit seems to be that as air speed reaches above the speed of sound a considerable drag is encountered and heat ensues rather than more blade speed. A smaller housing can result is faster air speed but blade size and housing size must be well matched. Reference - http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/general-diy-forum/246799-how-to-read-a-turbo-pressure-map.html

I should add to answer ct9/hybrid difference the ct9 blade is smaller and spins at a higher speed so it will usually hit the drag limits more abruptly than a slower hybrid blade .

Last edited: