Ct9a vs Ct9b

yan

Member +
Hi, is there a big difference in bhp between the two turbo if used under same mod.. about how much

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i think this came up many times.. do a search mate. if i remember corrctly the be has one or more fins and has a bit much more tourqe, but dont quote me mate :)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
there isnt really much difference at all, the ct9b is suppose to help with spool up, but it looses a little bit more of top end pull.

to be honest the difference is so minimal you can hardly tell i doubt.

monka

Member +
well i'm about to put one on mine, and will be getting rr'd. although few other things will be going on

dac69er

Super Moderator
performance wise you wont feel any difference as ive had both. the ct9b is a slightly better design from what ive been told. but you could say that about getting a 1991 GT and a 1994, the 94 has a few little bits and peices that make it overall better, but only very slightly.

MJA

Member +
The CT-9B is just a facelift to the CT9-9A. It was built for the Glanza, and has an extra fin on the compressor wheel. The idea was to slightly decrease spool time, thus increasing torque because the Glanza is considerably heavier than an EP82

I know somebody swapped a CT-9A for a CT-9B on an EP82 (im pretty sure it was Monkfish) and from memory in made no difference.

Last edited:

TurboDave

Member +
The CT-9B is just a facelift to the CT9-9A. It was built for the Glanza, and has an extra fin on the compressor wheel. The idea was to slightly decrease spool time, thus increasing torque because the Glanza is considerably heavier than an EP82

I know somebody swapped a CT-9A for a CT-9B on an EP82 (im pretty sure it was Monkfish) and from memory in made no difference.

Extra fin on the Turbine wheel, Larger turbine wheel, a different design and larger compressor exducer wheel is the difference.

Ted

Member +
had many of both, no noticeable difference. always did think gts revved out better than glanzas so maybe ct9a is better!

Timmy

Member +
CT9B is a better turbo but only give enough torque to over come the extra weight of the glanza. As for it not being so good at top end thats not true as both turbos can't do any better than 1.2bar max as the core lets it down.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
well no because theres more blades at top end it supposedly doesnt flow as much because of the extra restriction. it isnt due to wat boost pressure

TurboDave

Member +
CT9B is a better turbo but only give enough torque to over come the extra weight of the glanza. As for it not being so good at top end thats not true as both turbos can't do any better than 1.2bar max as the core lets it down.

The amount of boost isnt the issue. The core isnt the problem it is the size of the turbo as a whole. The turbine wheel in the CT9B is bigger than the A's one aswell.

Timmy

Member +
The extra fin is on the hot side so its harder to get it faster to produce more boost but it is still capable of 1.2bar max. Lets assume that is the only difference they would both have the exact same air flow. But apparently the compressor wheel is bigger on a ct9b so actual it would push a larger volume of air.

Timmy

Member +
The amount of boost isnt the issue. The core isnt the problem it is the size of the turbo as a whole. The turbine wheel in the CT9B is bigger than the A's one aswell.

The core give up quite quickly at 1.2bar Yes the size is a problem to because of heat ect. All of this just goes to prove the extra fin only is an advantage and has no disadvantages.