Customer Project - Ben, Mr2 Turbo

Another engine build in the process, this time for a customer called Ben.

Another Nice Re-enforced 86.25mm 3S-GTE Race build :)
Based Around a TBDev GTX3076r turbocharger setup, should be hitting the 500bhp mark.

DSCN4170_zps29530164.jpg

DSCN4172_zps4b716a48.jpg

DSCN4173_zps68cf3861.jpg

DSCN4174_zps0616a138.jpg

DSCN4176_zpsc3a8a731.jpg

DSCN4175_zps1ecb7782.jpg

DSCN4181_zps625fb0b4.jpg

DSCN4180_zpsf6fb6dc8.jpg

DSCN4183_zpse801d34d.jpg

DSCN4184_zpscb8cfbd7.jpg

DSCN4187_zps7809a42b.jpg

DSCN4186_zps08a1dc93.jpg

DSCN4188_zpsafa27b8f.jpg

Tim

its because a conrod obviously has a cylinder its attached to, just like the piston. But also there is a Front orientation for the way the bearing sits into the conrod.

So by putting the number and F on the correct side it helps silly mistakes when assembling rod to pistons and then into the block :)

Tim

dark_knight

Member +
well, pardon my observation but i thought that mostly v-engines with 'angled' con-rod crank connectors would need an obvious and single direction of installation. are you saying that installing these inline rods the reverse way would cause problems..? or you are just OCD-compliant like most of us with this level of attention to detail..? :)

it is important to have them in the correct orientation with regards to the rotation of the crank. Toyota standard conrods are marked accordingly for "front" out of the factory.

Tim

dark_knight

Member +
i agree tim, just trying to check that if one was NOT to install them in the recommended direction, there would be no mortal damage to the engine..?

It would put the bearing locks on the thrust side of the crank rotation opposed to the more unloaded side. So more change of the bearing grabbing and causing a spun bearing which as you know would destroy the bottom end

Last edited:

5e colin

Member +
ha ha sure u can tim i will come and clean ur shop evry day for the next year to pay of mi debts

anyways all joking aside do u only do the 3sgte builds or do u al kinds of toyo turbos ?

haha.

yeah i do everything toyota. Just the business started off with mr2's and gt4's so obviously this is where most of my customers come from as i've been around those scenes the longest. But a few years back i expanded into all toyota. Bought a supra myself to learn and build parts for. had my own glanza about 3 years now.

got a couple of forged 4efte engines being done at the moment actually. just having a few delays are the engines that are being rebuilt are a bit worse for ware.

yeah we've spoken about his timing belt issue.

I've said get it back to me and I'll have a look and see what's happened or why its loosened off. I did suggest looking to make sure the 3 bolts that hold the adjustment screws in are all tight and hasn't slipped as this is common on HKS 3 legged gears but he says there all good.

So with the tensioner adjustment being hydraulic with no human adjustment needed it can only mean 2 things really, either the HKS camgears are worn slightly (again the older models are known for this) which causes the belt to skip. Or the brand new Toyota tensioner is faulty and has lost its tension after 1000miles.

Very strange either way, but i said i'd stand by my work and we'll get something sorted out for him :)

Tim
TB Developments

HAHA, problem solved.

Ben had been fed some bad information by friends or something about timing belt being loose or jumped a tooth.

Turned out the belt and timing were spot on. As i provided the engine to him as basically a crate engine so he did the fittment, i said the dizzy was only bolted finger tight and to set the ignition timing once the engine was running and tighten it all down. This was overlooked so dizzy slipped when first came on boost and went massively retarded, despite doing 1000miles running in without issue. Once Ben put it back and tightened it down it was all back to normal. :)

Glad it was a simple fix, But thought i would post before someone jumps on criticizing my engine builds lol :)

Good luck Ben

Tim
TB Developments

KrissyB

Member +
The simplest things can cause what seems the biggest of issues, engines spot on I believe ;-). You should see the pictures it's lovely.

That engine is so so quiet its fantastic.

Last edited: