D2 - adjusting the ride

Sii

Member +
People,

I'm going to adjust my D2 ride settings this week, lower it a wee bit and then soften the ride. Now I speak a little Japanese but my Engrish is poor and that is what the instructions are written in.

The line "Mostly rotate counter clock wise to it's face to alter the setting of desired adjustment" left me a little puzzled.

Not if I was to soften the ride and lower it a little I know the jist regards to the ride height, however the long thin key that drops down into the top of the suspension, is it closewise for soft or vice versa?

azerty

Supermoderator
clockwise for harder

to change car height, do not change two rings setting under spring. turn the bottom part of the shock instead

cottongt

Member +
What settings do you all have for the rear and front? softest setting on the back and hardest on the front? or otherway round?

im finding my d2's too bouncy on the rear, but fine on the front.

gunna do sum adjusting 2mora, just wondering wot others have theres set too??

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
sorry to jump in, so you dont change the spring height? you change the bottom of the shock instead? i changed the ride height by adjusting the spring height i think, is that why its so bumpy?

CMR

Member +
Yeah, you adjust from the bottom mount.. screwing the shock into it as its threaded.

If you adjust the preload on the springs you will either bottom the shock out on bumps if its too low or as you describe a very bumpy experience if there is too much preload.

CMR

Member +
Lower the top two rings until the spring sits 'snug' i.e you can move it with your hands but its not loose. Thats no / minimal preload on the springs. I'm not sure how d2's come out the factory, but i imagine they will be moveable by hand.

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
you mean the rings on the bottom yea? so the spring sits snug between them and the top? and then adjust the bottom, yea?

CMR

Member +
Yeah, there is 3 locking rings, 2 at the top which alter the preload and 1 at the bottom that alters the height via the bottom mount.

First jack the car up and see if you can spin the springs with your hands, if they are lose tighten the top two rings till the spring is snug, if you cant turn the springs, loosen the top two :)

To adjust the height properly, unto the bottom mount and turn the whole shock either left to right to raise it or right to left (screwing it into the bottom mount) to lower.

cottongt

Member +
CMR, what setting do you have on the top adjuster? where the oil drops are, with the key that drops into the top?

Just tryin to get an idea of what setting people are running

CMR

Member +
I dont have D2's I have BC racing which are a very similar design.
I presume you mean the damper adjustment on the top mounts? I have the rear on about 15 clicks, front on about 10 clicks to reduce understeer. D2's are a bit stiffer though than mine I think so your best setting them to what you are comfortable with.. i start from hardest then gradually make them softer :)

thefalls

Member +
I tried to play around with the settings and its rather bumpy....i have left the fronts on 15 clicks.....and the rear on the softest setting.....that is fully anticlockwise.

Its still bumpy for road use.But you get used to it.

azerty

Supermoderator
why that soft on back ? this will result with more understeer.
I have 12 click on front 11 on back (from lowest setting). this on rally asphalt version which are naturaly stiffer
for race day, I would go even stiffer on back (like 20 click)

Last edited:

Mart

Member +
I think my D2's are totally set up wrong so aswell. Mine were adjusted from the spring height aswell and its back braking. I was nearly half thinking of selling them for shocks and springs it was so hard.

Im going to try and readjust them as above but wont have a chance untill next week. Would it make a difference if the dampening was adjusted (long allen key) first on a compressed spring to make it softer untill I have time to properly adjust them... :confused:

cottongt

Member +
nice one guys, ill have a play with the setting and try and get the ride a bit less bouncy to save my head hitting the roof everytime i drive over a leaf lol.