D2 coilovers, opinions?

steveep82

Member +
Hi all, looking for feedback on D2 coilovers, any problems, any gripes? Do they work well on our uneven british roads and how would they compare to tein hrs, which are much older,

Let me know your experiences!

addz

Member +
I have been using D2's for 2 and a half years, and find them suffice. They are a bit harsh for our roads (shit), but boy do they grip, and feel tight and handle well with supporting mods (struts, bushes) etc

matt walters

Member +
definately a harsh ride on our roads :( but give them a roundabout and your sittin flat all the way round, mine stick very well and just have the standard front brace and cusco rear. just the bumpy ride that lets them down

sanchez

Member +
As the others said, they are harsh as fuck mate, but again as mentioned they grip corners and roundabouts like on rails with all the other anti roll bars and struts!!

azerty

Supermoderator
new model which came out a year ago with rubber top mount camberplate design are a bit softer.
in Mauritius, some guys even order stiffer springs... (I'll have to come and see your road one day, hard to beleive they are worse than Mauritan ones !)

steveep82

Member +
ah, i really dont want harsh, it does not inspire confidence on my bumpy single lane backroads! Perhaps i will go with the teins..

Rory

Lifer
If your buying new suspension from D2, can you not order spring rates to suit what you want? Or do you get what you get??

Im sure my Teins have 5kg FR and 3 or 4kg rear, jsut fine for the B-roads around me.

steveep82

Member +
dunno, these are used d2s, im on a budget, but ive heard d2s are really hard, i have no idea what spring rates they run, id like 6/4 really.

they are a bit hard yes, but as others said they offer vry gd grip through cornering and on flat surfaces like tracks etc

Shaneyb

Fresh Recruit
I think I have the later spec D2s and they are less harsh then my PI springs were... The D2s have been proffesionally set up though so that might be why.

steveep82

Member +
Hmm, well the d2s are apparently 2 months old, I missed the teins so im now looking at the d2s again, are they managable on the road then, bugger, i may just buy them and if they are too hard resell them.

brownyboy

Fresh Recruit
Malcolmgt is selling some D2's in Parts For Sale Section mate, cheap aswell. Grab yourself a bargain for Christmas!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
fitted a set for a mate. they are harsh.. especially on un even roads.. but they are very good

Mate has them and finds them good for the price, only drove his gt once but seems very good i thought and handled well, i like a harsh ride really, ive teins and find them fairly hard but i love them :)

GTnomez

Member +
But i have always read about them leaking but thats what happens when 2nd hand coilovers are bought though :(

thefalls

Member +
I have D2 coilovers and yes they are harsh on uneven roads.
But they handle great and feel very confident when attacking a bend or roundabout.
If you are looking for comfort steer clear of them,and if you are ready to compromise then go for them.
The older top mounts have a habit of knocking with time or if driven too long on uneven roads,the new designed top mounts have a bush in them,much better.

As for leaking,i havent heard or seen any leak so far,most of friends have D2,and we havent see any leak so far!

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Steve, as you know I concentrated on the handling of my GT more than power and it was hard to beat for handling (as far as GT's go anyway). Handled poorly on bumpy corners though, really could have done with more give. Even on the softest setting you could rock the car and the only give would be in the tyres.